• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
Sunday River's demo day is scheduled for Saturday, November 25th. Brands that are shown as participating include Volkl, K2, Blizzard, Atomic, Salomon, Fischer, Nordica, Head, Rossignol, and Dynastar (no mention of Kastle or Stockli). $10 to participate, out of the South Ridge base lodge. And it looks like the snow conditions may actually be decent this year ....

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Past research suggests that Kästle and Stöckli are rare at demo days. Kästle shows up at Okemo and Stowe (see above), I think because there are nearby retailers. Everyone sells the usual brands, so the usual brands are always at demo days. Anyway, that’s my guess.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm a tad annoyed that Killington is holding their demo days the Monday and Tuesday AFTER my weekend visit in early December.

TEST FEST
KILLINGTON / WINTER ACTIVITIES & LESSONS / EVENTS / EVENTS CALENDAR / TEST FEST
Base of Superstar Trail
Mon Dec 11 - Tue Dec 12

Test out the latest ski & snowboard gear at the free 2-day on-snow demo event

It's going to be a party with on-snow demoing and an Outside TV and Monster Energy after party at the Wobbly Barn. The on-snow demo event is free & open to the public and will feature premiere snow sports brands showcasing the best gear for the 2017 season. Come test the latest and greatest equipment at The Beast!

DATES
Monday & Tuesday, December 11 & 12, 2017

DETAILS
  • Demo area will be open at 9:00 am
  • All participants must stop at the Roaring Brook Umbrella Bar prior to demoing to fill out an Express Assumption of Risk Form. If you are under 18, you will need a parent/guardian to sign your form.
  • Please note that lift tickets are not included with demos.
AFTER PARTY
TBD

BRANDS
TBD

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Note: the first post in this thread lists last season’s demo days. Resorts listed there should have similar dates this year, though. Check their websites.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Past research suggests that Kästle and Stöckli are rare at demo days. Kästle shows up at Okemo and Stowe (see above), I think because there are nearby retailers. Everyone sells the usual brands, so the usual brands are always at demo days. Anyway, that’s my guess.

I saw Kastle at Wachusett a number of years ago but nowhere else. I'll have to follow up with Okemo and Stowe.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Demo Events — Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont
Here's the demo day list for the 2017-18 season, based on current information.
If you've never attended a demo day, see below.

Maine

Sugarloaf
This season’s date; Dec. 9, 8 am – 12 pm
Fee: $10
Under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
Volkl, Rossi, Atomic, Blizzard, Nordica, Burton, Fisher, DPS, K2, Parlor, Salomon, Stöckli
Downhill Supply Co. Demo Days — Registration: Oak Room at the Base Lodge
http://sugarloaf.com/activities-and-nightlife/events

Sunday River
$10 fee (includes $50 credit). Nov. 25
Register in the South Ridge Welcome Center, 8 am - noon
Suppliers: Volkl, K2, Blizzard, Atomic, Salomon, Fischer, Nordica, Head, Rossignol, Dynastar, “and more”
http://www.sundayriver.com/events-and-activities/events-calendar/demo-days

Vermont

Jay Peak

9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Rotating lineup of skis, depending on day
Foundry Lawn (near Miso Hungry)
December 23
January 13
February 10
March 10
April 7
https://jaypeakresort.com/things-to-do/events/jay-peak-demo-days

Killington
December 11-12, 9 am to 4 pm
Test Fest — 2-day ski & snowboard demo event & after-party
Details TBD
Base of Superstar — registration: Roaring Brook Umbrella Bar (under 18 needs parent/guardian)
http://www.killington.com/site/to-do/events-calendar/index.html/1562270322?

Mount Snow
Saturday, Dec. 16
Details to come
http://www.mountsnow.com/events/calendar/demo-day/

Okemo:
Saturday, Dec. 16, 8 am-1 pm (last demo out at 1 pm)
Spring Demo: March 17, 2018
(Snowboarders, BYOBindings)
details pending
Jackson Gore Courtyard
Inaccurate list of brands from past events (no current info):
Nordic, Volkl, Head, Never summer, K2, Atomic, Dynastar, Blizzard, Elan, Scott, Stockli (?), Icelandic, Salomon, and more.
NOTE: I’ve been going to this over the past three or four years — Stöckli’s never been there.
NOTE 2: Kästle seems to show up at the spring demo.
https://www.okemo.com/event/december-demo/

Stowe
Under new management.
Normally there’d be a demo day, but it’s not currently scheduled.

New Hampshire

Loon Mountain
Dec. 16, 10 am – 1 pm; registration: Governor’s Pavillion
Fee: $10
“Top brands”
http://www.loonmtn.com/experience/events/demo-day#.WhBej7aZPMV

Mount Sunapee
December 9-10, all day, on the beach
BOB SKINNER’S SKI & SPORT DEMO DAYS
Rossignol, Volkl, Nordica, Dynastar, Blizzard, Head, Fischer
http://mountsunapee.com/mtsunapeewinter/onthemountain/events/events.asp

Demo days are fun and economical ways to test out a variety of skis from a variety of manufacturers. Most are free (those that aren't are noted above). All you do is show up with your boots on and your poles in hand, and your credit card or driver's license available.

You will register at a central location, stating name, address, and telephone (cell phone — useful if you forget to pick up your credit card!! :eek:), boot size (extra cred for knowing your BSL), height, weight, and skier type. They'll hold your credit card or driver's license at the registration desk until you're done for the day (don't forget to go back for it!!). You'll be given a ticket that gives your height, weight, boot size, and skier type — binding info.

Then, check out the tents. When you see a ski you want to try, ask the rep or the tech (when he or she is free). The tech will ask for the ticket with your binding info (DIN, BSL) and will set the demo bindings to match. He or she will have you step into the binding in order to check forward pressure. Then you're good to go. Generally they'll ask you to ski only a couple of runs or so, but that can vary.

Caveats:

• Some say you're not demoing the ski so much as the conditions. While that's true, you're also demoing different skis under comparable conditions — comparing skis under the same conditions. You get information.

• Sometimes the tune can suck. If the ski is acting really weird, it's may not be the ski. It may be the tune. Manufacturers don't design skis to act squirrelly when you ski them. Even great brands can show up at the mountain with terribly tuned demo skis. I demoed some Kästle LX72s last season that were dangerously grabby, far grabbier than my SL skis, which are tuned to .5 / 3. You can (and should) mention it to the tech, but he or she may not believe you (unless you're a known quantity).

Good luck, and have a blast. If you're into gear, demo days are great ways to deepen your knowledge of different skis, different ski constructions, and different brands.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I contacted Okemo for their spring demo day (now on 3/10). This is who they are expecting right now: Nordica, Volkl, Icelantic, Rossignol and Elan. They did say the list is still being worked on.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I believe I saw something on Killington's calendar for near the end of April at the Dazed and Defrosted event.

April 21st. We went last year and there were a ton of demos there, lots of different brands including the Killington demo shop with whatever they had left. That's where we bought our Meier skis as they also had a tent. One run on my Wild Bills and I had to take them home. One woman was potentially interested in them so she took a run on them. I'd already had my run on them so I was ahead of her. I bought them and when she skied up to the tent the rep broke the news to her that I bought them. He gave her a card and hopefully she was able to get herself a pair.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm looking to try some Kastles but haven't had much luck finding a demo day. I have the FX94's and I want to try the FX95 and 95 HP, along with a BMX 105.

I know that "one run" feeling. I demo'd the MX88's back in 2012 at Wachusett. One run and I knew I had to have them. I got lucky and the shop was having an end of season sale and got them new for 30% off.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm looking to try some Kastles but haven't had much luck finding a demo day. I have the FX94's and I want to try the FX95 and 95 HP, along with a BMX 105.

I know that "one run" feeling. I demo'd the MX88's back in 2012 at Wachusett. One run and I knew I had to have them. I got lucky and the shop was having an end of season sale and got them new for 30% off.

I had never even heard of Meier skis. I went to their tent because all the other tents were so crowded. I wound up with the Wild Bills as I was looking for something around 98 underfoot to replace my Volkl 90Eights and 1/3 of the way down Bittersweet I knew these were my skis.

I haven't been to the on mountain ski shop at Stratton in a bit but last time I was there they had Kastle's for demo. Not sure what models but might be worth an inquiry if you ever head that way.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had never even heard of Meier skis. I went to their tent because all the other tents were so crowded. I wound up with the Wild Bills as I was looking for something around 98 underfoot to replace my Volkl 90Eights and 1/3 of the way down Bittersweet I knew these were my skis.

I haven't been to the on mountain ski shop at Stratton in a bit but last time I was there they had Kastle's for demo. Not sure what models but might be worth an inquiry if you ever head that way.

Thanks, maybe I'll give them a call.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Sport Thoma is at Bretton Woods on March 31, they usually have a few Kastles available. Also Ragged on March 25. Maybe call them first.

n443

Booting up
Skier
Sport Thoma is at Bretton Woods on March 31, they usually have a few Kastles available. Also Ragged on March 25. Maybe call them first.
Call Sport Thoma and let them know that you want to try Kästle, model and size. Peter (owner) is really good about that. They don't always bring Kästle to their demo days.

Sponsor