• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2016-17 Mammoth/"Calif4nia" Conditions/Meetups Thread

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
It's been an awesome weekend so far, got to see @TonyC , Liz, and son today, and a little p-lot après with @SallyCat. Skiing has been very good considering the date, but Tony is spot on with conditions, I did Hangman's late this afternoon and the choke was far worse than the day prior, mostly from traffic. Word is that 2 is done Tuesday, and 12:00 closing as of Wednesday.One more day on this trip, hope to make it back once more before closing. Oh, it was a bit smoky out there today, but not from Cheech&Chong.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
July holiday skiing has been excellent in historical context but was probably overhyped in advance. Only 2011 was clear-cut superior in my experience. The top was better in 2006 but chair 2 was not open, so call 2006 a tie with this year. 1983 was more limited on the upper mountain and while chair 1 coverage was better than this year, chair 2 was not open. In 1995 I did not ski the holiday but did ski July 15. Considering that I skied Hangman's and the area stayed open to August 13, the best guess is that 1995 was as good as 2011. So in the 40 years of late season skiing at Mammoth, this year ranks as a tie for the 3rd best July holiday IMHO.

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
It was an absolute pleasure to meet @Mothertucker , @MountainMonster, and all of the other amazingly friendly and welcoming People of the Parking Lot.

MT asked for pics, so here are a few that might be of interest regarding the snow melt. And one of the general tenor of the Stump Alley parking lot, which was an unexpected joy of the trip. June 13 Looking  up at Cornice.jpg . First Chair and Snow July 2.jpg June 13 Better back of chair 3.jpg July 3 from Back of Chair 3.jpg June 17 View out Back of Cornice.jpg Skateboard thingy.jpg

In order:
1. The mountain on my first ski day, June 13.
2. Me getting my first real first chair on July 2. You can tell the snow situation is getting grim at Chair 2.
3. View from the back of Chair 3 on June 13
4. Same view July 3.
5. Looking out over the back side from the top of Cornice on June 17.
6. So, this happened on July 2.

Last edited:

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Nice meeting you too @SallyCat , you missed a killer bbq.
Hour change starting wed, 7:30 - noon.
And chair 23 will be weekends only starting wed, maintenance ? May re-open in 10 days.
The 4th will be it for stump.
snow is in good condition up top,, climax , drop out, hangmans all really good.
Happy 4th all !

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Going up for a few more days of summer skiing mixed with some fishing, prolly M-TH this week. @Philpug ? @Tricia ? View attachment 26480
Thursday would be the only possibility. I'll talk it over with Phil.
Monday, company in town
Tuesday, appointments in Reno
Wednesday, appointments in Sacramento
Dang, life gets in the way.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Heading down Monday for 3 days (back willing); staying at dog friendly MM Inn - any good casual food close by?

TS
VickiK

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Angel's is gone, replaced by another high-end place. The Village is probably the easiest place to get a quick bite if one's staying at MMInn.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Angel's is gone, replaced by another high-end place. The Village is probably the easiest place to get a quick bite if one's staying at MMInn.

That's too bad. Twas a great place. We were referred there years ago by a local. I was just in mammy 2 years ago. Look like they changed ownership to this new place 6 months ago. I personally am not a huge fan of the village. I found it easy enough to just take that left and head on main. Many a good trips spent at the MMI. Hopefully base camp is still there.

Last edited:

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Heading down Monday for 3 days (back willing); staying at dog friendly MM Inn - any good casual food close by?

Try Salsa's on old Mammoth rd. for great street taco's, daily specials. Then go next door to Mimi's cookie bar for dessert.
Nik n' willies, pizza & sandwich's, also on old mammoth rd

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
The usual great collection of pics from Mammoth Snowman July 14-15: http://mammothsnowman.com/
It's still skiable to the base via Broadway and St. Anton and 23 is still open serving the Drop Outs. It's fairly similar to when I skied July 15 in 1995.

From the pics I doubt these runs will be skiable when we return to Mammoth July 30. By then it will probably be Face of 3, Saddle Bowl, Climax and Cornice.

Sponsor