• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2016-17 Mammoth/"Calif4nia" Conditions/Meetups Thread

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So... tell me about Mammoth first week May...

I know there's a 'late spring' thread but I get the impression this year first week of May will not fall into that category.

TS
VickiK

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice time of year. Canyon and Eagle Lodges will likely be closed but given the amount of snow there now, the rest of the mountain should be open. Warmer temps and bright sunshine mean lighter layers and the dark goggle lenses. Longer days make it possible to go for a bike ride after skiing, or maybe cross-country skiing, or maybe a hike or run (don't know about fishing but that might be a possibility too) or a relaxing tailgate après-ski on a beach chair. People from southern California who descend on Mammoth in the winter shift their focus on other activities, so the crowds won't be crazy, and mid-week I doubt it's an issue at all. Snow quality will likely be hard/icy in the morning and softening up to slushy on the bottom by mid-day, but the upper mountain will likely be nice even when the bottom is sloppy muck.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
One of the group is not getting on with his Armada Invictus 95 terribly well on hardpack - will it be soft enough for him to enjoy the day up high?

Hiking is poss. Drinking is definite. I'd be cycling solo so unlikely. XC is possible as a break day midweek, yes?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With the amount of snow there, @Andy Mink @AMink @Tricia @Jeff are talking abotu taking the travel trailers down there at the end of May or June.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With the amount of snow there, @Andy Mink @AMink @Tricia @Jeff are talking abotu taking the travel trailers down there at the end of May or June.
I'm planning on Memorial Day weekend at Mammoth as it's always been awesome in big snow years and afternoons offer great high sierra side trips, Yosemite, hot springs, sex parties if you're into that sort of thing (I'm not), etc.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I contacted Mammoth. They won't allow overnighting in the parking lot but will during the day. We'd have to stay somewhere else and pull in each morning. Kind of a pia but not out of the question.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I contacted Mammoth. They won't allow overnighting in the parking lot but will during the day. We'd have to stay somewhere else and pull in each morning. Kind of a pia but not out of the question.
They let Plake park his over night. Don't they know who you are???

TS
VickiK

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
One of the group is not getting on with his Armada Invictus 95 terribly well on hardpack - will it be soft enough for him to enjoy the day up high?

Hiking is poss. Drinking is definite. I'd be cycling solo so unlikely. XC is possible as a break day midweek, yes?

Yes to XC as a break. Shady Rest campground, on the edge of town, is free. Tamarack requires a paid pass but is gorgeous with lots of trails that go up to the lakes.

I ski only the groomed runs on the upper mountain. My widest ski is 88mm and that's fine. So I felt the need to consult with someone else on your question of ski choice. Feedback: Take two pairs. If not, a narrower ski than 95 might still be a better choice in the narrower chutes. It depends on the conditions, of course.

Hope this is helpful.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I ski only the groomed runs on the upper mountain. My widest ski is 88mm and that's fine. So I felt the need to consult with someone else on your question of ski choice. Feedback: Take two pairs. If not, a narrower ski than 95 might still be a better choice in the narrower chutes. It depends on the conditions, of course.

Hope this is helpful.

It is, quite.

His hardpack skis are (my old) Dynastars - I'm going to have to lend him a pair of M88s - or something.

Last edited:

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Just got back from the PSIA-W convention at Mammoth last Friday and Saturday. Holy cr*p, I've never seen that much snow in almost 35 years of skiing there! Standing on the notch cut by the grooming machines in the top of Cornice I was looking up at about 12 feet of snow above me in the actual cornice, and I figure I was standing on maybe 10+ feet of snow. Unreal. You'd ski down to Main Lodge and step slightly down to the 3rd floor sundeck. It was pretty sticky in the afternoon and Zardoz just weren't gettin' 'er done neither... The "stop and go" got kind of old after a while, so I need to work on a bullet-proof spring snow wax/whatever base treatment. I heard that a clinic actually basically said "screw this, let's go ski Hole In The Wall!" which is something I've been contemplating doing for a long time. Better do it next year, 'cause if I don't I'll just be one year older when I do!

Supposedly the sign on top of Mammoth is something like 18 feet, only the top 2 feet (give or take) were sticking out of the snow.

Got to spend some time skiing with Marco Sullivan (Hey, @Philpug, Marco says hi!) and Anna Goodman (Canadian, former World Cup skier) in a clinic. Fun joking around with them as well.

Two days on the Head 177cm Rally.

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
I didnt either. Recent transplant. Glad i found this thread! Ill be there Memorial weekend and 4th of July. Hope to ski with you pugskiers!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We'll be heading to Mammoth some time in June but not sure when for sure.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey! Just joined up last night. Thanks @Rainbow Jenny for the heads up regarding this thread. We will be up the 5th through the 7th.