• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2015-16 Utah Weather & Conditions

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
The snow from last week just hasn't been able to transition to Spring snow. The lack of a real freeze last night was the downfall. I applied butter a couple of times today with negligible results. Skied till last chair yesterday with no real issues on the groomers.
Looks like we'll get a good freeze Tuesday morning which should complete the metamorphosis. Even though Tuesday's storm was fun while it was falling, it has made a mess of the off-piste skiing for now.

4ster

Instructor
I was at the bird today catching up with some epicski and dcski people. The snow on the east faces of mineral was over cooked by about 1100. Skied bookends after that. Then back to the front side. We hunted for good snow after lunch and settled on littlecloud skiing Rasta chutes area. Around 3pm some clouds moved in and the snow firmed up a bunch and made it alot easier on the way back to the car.

Still probably a better choice than Basin today.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The snow from last week just hasn't been able to transition to Spring snow. The lack of a real freeze last night was the downfall. I applied butter a couple of times today with negligible results. Skied till last chair yesterday with no real issues on the groomers.
Looks like we'll get a good freeze Tuesday morning which should complete the metamorphosis. Even though Tuesday's storm was fun while it was falling, it has made a mess of the off-piste skiing for now.
I'll be up Tuesday, so I hope it does set up better.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I was thinking the same thing. Need a good freeze.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, the mountain was a sheet of ice from top-to-bottom this morning. With the overcast and forecast for a chilly, breezy day, I didn't stick around to see if it would soften. Word was that Strawberry was even worse. Will run errands today and hope for a better day tomorrow. Thankfully, the Kenjas laugh at ice and carried me down that crap with some style.

Is it just me, or is the spring skiing just weird this year? Or am I just used to what Mammoth would offer up in the spring, which was really, REALLY fun with things not getting super grabby sticky until later in the day? Even at the end of April, conditions at Mammoth were better.

4ster

Instructor
Well, the mountain was a sheet of ice from top-to-bottom this morning. With the overcast and forecast for a chilly, breezy day, I didn't stick around to see if it would soften. Word was that Strawberry was even worse. Will run errands today and hope for a better day tomorrow. Thankfully, the Kenjas laugh at ice and carried me down that crap with some style.

Is it just me, or is the spring skiing just weird this year? Or am I just used to what Mammoth would offer up in the spring, which was really, REALLY fun with things not getting super grabby sticky until later in the day? Even at the end of April, conditions at Mammoth were better.

That is what I thought it would be :(.
Heading up soon, I'll report later if it softens, sooner if it doesn't ;)

It is not weird, just different. In my experience once Spring sets in, Snow basin just doesn't get regular freezing nights & warm clear days.
For sure Mammoth & for that matter the Sierra in general have better Spring conditions & more consistent corn cycles.
Got a feeling the next couple of days will be pretty good :)

TS
Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Mammoth beginning most years around mid to late April has the best, most consistent spring skiing I've experienced.

This will be my first season really exploring spring at Snowbird so we'll see but today has a whole lot of good for you skiing.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mammoth beginning most years around mid to late April has the best, most consistent spring skiing I've experienced.

This will be my first season really exploring spring at Snowbird so we'll see but today has a whole lot of good for you skiing.
So, I was just spoiled by Mammoth, then :) We seriously went three springs in a row in April and had just fantastic spring conditions. Including a storm each time!

Pondered heading back up to Basin after errands as the clouds have been coming and going, but I'll just wait until tomorrow. I guess I should have done errands FIRST.

4ster

Instructor
image.jpeg
Things were softening nicely around noon. Top of JP & Strawberry remained slick & hard. The wind kept the snow cool so it never got sticky even where it was soft. There was a slight refreeze between 3 & 4pm.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I clearly should have run errands in the morning, THEN headed up.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Overall I think this year has had the best spring conditions that I can remember. Most years the north facing spots remain chalky well into late March and a good corn never really sets in until most resorts are shutting down.

Can debate if that makes for better or worse skiing overall, but it sure isn't "spring skiing".

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, today was much better. Still a lot of really icy stuff early and even later on the north facing aspects, but the main stuff softened up pretty early and was just getting grabby right around noon.

I've been working on sequential edge release, I guess you'd call it, to get rid of my stem, and my new liners are helping a lot :D

I noticed this tree before the season even started, but never stopped to get a picture of it. On the access road, right before the curves start, is this rather large aspen tree that some beavers probably worked all summer on (OK, who knows how long. I have no idea how long they take to chop down a large tree.) Anyway, unfortunately, their work was for naught. I would imagine they have emerged for the winter. I think a hike down to the beaver ponds is in order.
12670889_10209477878290199_6624242156992431260_n.jpg

4ster

Instructor
Bell to bell, tons of great cornarouy all day. Skied my ice skate, razor sharp SL's first hour or 2.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, this morning was pretty nice, but I had a crazy crash on my warm-up run (all is well) and I was trembling afterward! I really, really don't like crashing. I did a couple more runs and kept catching edges on flats, and just was in a FUNK, so I came home and took my bike out! Found a little dirt flow trail in one of the neighborhoods up the hill that was clearly cut in just recently. My cardio fitness has not suffered as much as I thought it would over the winter.
:golfclap:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ Way to get back on the horse, (I think) :huh: (you're also an equestrian) :eek:gcool

Shaken not Stirred - Trembling doesn't sound good, I'm glad you are alright :)

TS
Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Spring conditions at PCMR were sublime these last two days. Now I say goodbye to Park City Resort. I won't be coming back during VR-s ownership. The $20 daily parking charge next year is the final straw for many locals who will move over to Deer Valley.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^ Way to get back on the horse, (I think) :huh: (you're also an equestrian) :eek:gcool

Shaken not Stirred - Trembling doesn't sound good, I'm glad you are alright :)
Thanks! Always have to get back on! I would have skied the day after my broken leg last year if I could have.

Spring conditions at PCMR were sublime these last two days. Now I say goodbye to Park City Resort. I won't be coming back during VR-s ownership. The $20 daily parking charge next year is the final straw for many locals who will move over to Deer Valley.

Yikes! $20 is crazy!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Anybody ski today? I'm heading up in the morning for an hour or two or?? Hoping the clouds stick around and keep the snow in decent shape. My Kenjas have a major booboo so are in the shop, so I will have to slide around on my Santa Anas. Hoping there's not too much ice!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Untracked slush groomers are fuuuuuunnnnn! And this storm coming in later this week is sounding REALLY promising. Ending the season with powder days? That'd be incredible.
Today the green of the valley made for such a cool view of a transition of the seasons from up on the mountain. I only skied a couple runs, as I'm not sure I'll ever get over my "PTSD" fear of deep slush.
13001221_10209507651594513_3691629871675521254_n.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ummmm, almost 2" of RAIN just today up at Snowbasin. Will they even be able to stay open through the weekend?? Webcams from the base are pretty sad. As am I :(

Guess I'll be trading this view
12376302_10209139090660720_7269406217567910411_n.jpg

For this one: (taken today. Maiden voyage for me on my new horse. He's going to push my skills for sure! Sporty thing who needs no coercing to get going!)
13006609_10209531342346767_3767830224402907708_n.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online