• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2015/16 Stockli Scale Delta

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
so, this is a totally off the radar ski, and I'll get more in depth as I get more conditions, but with 2 mornings on it, I'll put out my first impressions...

me: 5ft 11, 164lbs, level 3 psia, ski moderate speeds. focus on smoothness and precision over excitement and energy, ski all terrain, prefer off piste 3D snow and terrain.

I tend to ski 88 to 98mm ski all the time. 888 elan my skinny ski; favorite ski of all time that I still ski a lot,Kastle MX 98; favorite current model ski, Fisher Motive 95 ti.

Ski,
177 stockli Scale Delta, 128-83-110, 17m radius, little bit of early rise.

I skied it in powder over packed, 4-8in, then skied out pow and packed off piste, bumps and loose snow today, so not really the ideal place for my skinniest ski, but I'll get more hard snow tests on it later...

To give you some other reviewers background, I am pasting review comments from skicanada:
This sporty little driver has a tip to yank you through any turn, anytime, anywhere and at any speed. The Delta is snappy and full of energy, and would allow you to enjoy those times you second-guessed a tight line. It has a powerful, grippy bite that eats a turn early, ripping through an arc with superior stability and performance. how“smooth, stable and easy it is to ride for that aggressive all-mountain guy.” "perfect for “expert skiers who like the versatility of both short and medium turns.”

First off:
as it came to me and I looked at shape, length and construction, I was impressed. It's a stockli, and shape looked great, flex felt great.
but,
I noticed the mount line, and freaked out a bit. It looked waaaay back. So I put in next to similar length skis, with similar amounts of early rise. measured narrowest part of ski, sidewall depth, and decided I needed a demo binder for sure, and would start well forward.

I mounted the demo binding 4CM forward, and it looked about right.
and,
WOW, what a sweet feeling, flexing, carving, rebounding, floating and smiling ski!
First runs, moderate pitch, a few inch on top of groomed snow. This ski begged to be flexed, and provided predictable response and energy. tip engages early, asking to be tipped higher, transitions super smooth between edges.

Then, steeper terrain opened, and I mixed up radii and speed in 8in over packed bumps. Once again, this ski asks for energy, and responds with predictable flex, rebound and seamless releases. it's predictable but exciting, if that's possible. I had 5 of my best runs of the last couple years, in pow, on a 83mm ski... hum, just a great ski.

2 days after storm:
skied out pow, bumps, windpack, wind scoured harder snow, steeps, some odd terrain w/ new openings, rock/tree/bush avoidance.
In this terrain, this ski was quick, flexible in line change, edgeset to drift. That said, this ski prefers to be edged, it will drift to the next good spot, but that is not it's default. So many skis these days are designed with drift as the default, but there are also skis that are so edgy they can't be drifted happily. In bumps, the high end construction, tip shape and predictable flex team up to absorb irregularities extremely well, edge change is quick, and the tip likes to be engaged early.

Carving turns, groomers, compared to my other skis, this is a carving ski. It likes to be hooked up early, and can mix up a variety of radii at different speeds.

So, really, all I need is a real hard snow day to complete this impression, and I'll do that.

Back to mount point, that is the funky part, but I think 4-5cm forward is money. That is narrowest part of sidecut, tallest part of sidewall, and in line w/ other skis of similiar design.

That also puts it about where a Kastle mount point would be, but still behind many skis, like most french skis, elan k2 etc.

check this one out, it's not marketed (at all), but it just a wonderful all around ski, that maximizes fun in every condition! I ski for sensations, and I don't think I"m the only one. The sensations of this ski are highly refined, silky smooth, but energetic and ready for anything! You just find this amazing feel every day.
Cheers,

Wade

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Another great morning on them this AM. super fun on groomed harder snow, and Chutes at mt rose were open, so lots of laps on steeps w/ bumps forming. maybe not the perfect ski for this are, where wider, less sidecut and more drifty tend to more friendly, but this ski behaved quite well. Unlike many other skis that have this more hooked up feel, the tip on this one was more friendly, and worked it's way the big chicken heads with trying to spear or over grip.

good fun, for sure.

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
yes, maybe just over, I've settled in exactly now w/ my demo binding tweaking. good test yesterday skiing steep bumps w/ hard snow between, and then some carving groomer, so both sides of what I wanted the ski to do, and found the perfect spot.

sounds far, but I think they missed the line. I took 'em in to the guy who owns the shop where I do my tunes and mounts and said, take a look at my new ski, what do you see... he said, "looks sweet, line looks way back though!" ,

Cheers!
Wade

Wallace

Booting up
Skier
I have picked up a pair of NOS Stockli Deltas in the year and size that you did a report on in Dec 2017. Is your feeling on the mount point still the same as in your report, that the mount point should be 4cm forward or have you got more time on the ski now and changed your mind? It looks way off and I am not sure if I want to mount it that far back. I do not want to put demos on them, so any additional info would be a great help.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought Wade's Scale Delta's a couple seasons ago, and they are still in my daily driver rotation. I agree with Wade's mount point. Mine are probably at +5cm forward as I like most skis at +1cm from the marked centre line. Wade tested the updated Scale Delta and he stated elsewhere that Stockli "corrected" the mount point.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I bought Wade's Scale Delta's a couple seasons ago, and they are still in my daily driver rotation. I agree with Wade's mount point. Mine are probably at +5cm forward as I like most skis at +1cm from the marked centre line. Wade tested the updated Scale Delta and he stated elsewhere that Stockli "corrected" the mount point.

Hi! I read Wade's excellent review of these skis, and they were intriguing. But I just seemed to lack a frame of reference for them. How are they compared to other narrower but versatile skis - especially Stocklis, but other skis might help too?
For reference skis, I have 178 Stockli XXL 80s, and 183 Stockli Laser AX 78s, and greatly enjoyed demoing 172(?) Kastle MX 74s.

(Just for reference: The first two, for me, handle very similarly, accounting for their length difference: they are easy slow too, yet ride the rail/edge in the fall line without speed limit, if asked, turning on edge when asked. For me, the Kastles are also great on edge, but handle more like a tweener carving ski (between slalom and gs), choice of speed also. Great for end-of-the-day skied off runs.)

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
I have picked up a pair of NOS Stockli Deltas in the year and size that you did a report on in Dec 2017. Is your feeling on the mount point still the same as in your report, that the mount point should be 4cm forward or have you got more time on the ski now and changed your mind? It looks way off and I am not sure if I want to mount it that far back. I do not want to put demos on them, so any additional info would be a great help.

I haven't been on them in awhile, but this worked best for me.
what I would do it track down a new scale delta and have the shop measure the mount line on that, I skied the new one and they corrected it in my opinion.

cheers! W

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Hi! I read Wade's excellent review of these skis, and they were intriguing. But I just seemed to lack a frame of reference for them. How are they compared to other narrower but versatile skis - especially Stocklis, but other skis might help too?
For reference skis, I have 178 Stockli XXL 80s, and 183 Stockli Laser AX 78s, and greatly enjoyed demoing 172(?) Kastle MX 74s.

(Just for reference: The first two, for me, handle very similarly, accounting for their length difference: they are easy slow too, yet ride the rail/edge in the fall line without speed limit, if asked, turning on edge when asked. For me, the Kastles are also great on edge, but handle more like a tweener carving ski (between slalom and gs), choice of speed also. Great for end-of-the-day skied off runs.)

frame of reference, all the other skis you mentioned will ski stiffer and less playful. The scale is the more friendly line of stockli. I am light and ski at moderate speeds, so I often like skis that are not designed to be "serious", but stockli doesn't make cheap skis, so their easier skis are great too!

I really ilked the latest delta as well, and i thought they corrected the 2 things I didn't like about the first one, the length of tip rise and mount point.
Still not a "charger", ice ski or pow ski, just a fun ski for many conditions for many of us mortals.

cheers,
w