• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2015-16 Indemnification Binding List

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is the list from Gondyline.com. It can get confusing with older models but read through it and if there is any questions or unsure if your bindings are still covered, please post them and I am sure one of the members here can put there eyes on them and on the list to confirm.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I 'ski @ my own risk' and find the nature of this list disturbing. To have shops not torque test peoples gear because the manufacturer no longer stands behind it is a shame, especially if they are going to ski it anyway. This of course is driven by both liability and sales to some degree.

There is a lot of gear poorly cared for, miss adjusted by unknowing owners and other stuff 'not built to last for the long haul' that a test would show it is past it's useful life. BUT it can also show that other bindings are still functioning as designed and who's service life can be continued. It is a double edged sword for shops I know, but still. A mechanical device either tests good or fails...job done!

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I 'ski @ my own risk' and find the nature of this list disturbing. To have shops not torque test peoples gear because the manufacturer no longer stands behind it is a shame, especially if they are going to ski it anyway. This of course is driven by both liability and sales to some degree.

There is a lot of gear poorly cared for, miss adjusted by unknowing owners and other stuff 'not built to last for the long haul' that a test would show it is past it's useful life. BUT it can also show that other bindings are still functioning as designed and who's service life can be continued. It is a double edged sword for shops I know, but still. A mechanical device either tests good or fails...job done!

I agree 100% here. My old shop would torque any binding that that a customer brought in because we knew they would be going out to ski the ski whether we tested it or not. While that binding would fail visual inspection, thus failing the test, he would still put it on the machine. If they still were in range we would let them know. Many times the binding would be out of range and letting the customer know that allowed then to make an intelligent decision to still ski them or not. For these customers, we would offer a coupon for a free rental ski for the day..

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
Given the amount of plastic in recreational bindings, I'm not sure we can just assume that they are safe just because they pass a torque test. Not that I like expiration dates designed to sell more product, but there must be a limit.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Given the amount of plastic in recreational bindings, I'm not sure we can just assume that they are safe just because they pass a torque test. Not that I like expiration dates designed to sell more product, but there must be a limit.
I agree but it is better knowing that they did. Plastic bindings are like lightbulbs, one moment they work, the next the rear spring is sitting half way across the parking lot. Cue up @crgildart with his binding blowing the spring video.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Phil

Interesting to note on the Salomon list that some are identified as final season

Final Season: S 914 PE2, S 914 FIS, S 914 Axe+, S 914, S 910 T PS, S 910 T Axe+, S 910 T, S 910, S 812 PA, S 811 PS, S 608 CP, C509 D+, C 509 Dr+, C 509

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny that this comes up as we're having customers dust off old gear that they want to bring out on the mountain this winter. Some of this stuff is amazing and cool to see, while some of it is scary looking.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks Phil

Interesting to note on the Salomon list that some are identified as final season

Final Season: S 914 PE2, S 914 FIS, S 914 Axe+, S 914, S 910 T PS, S 910 T Axe+, S 910 T, S 910, S 812 PA, S 811 PS, S 608 CP, C509 D+, C 509 Dr+, C 509
This is actually very good information. All manufacturers who'll be required to put this on their list. With the Indemnification list usually not posted until October, it is good information to have in August/September when people are early shopping swaps.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OK, lets play a game...find the oldest binding on the list that is still indemnified. Go!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Interesting "All Nordica bindings made by Vist are still indemnified".

Question: What about Vist - branded bindings? I see Bomber-made-by-Vist are still good?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Bummer. Guess my Marker M8.2s didn't make the cut.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think the brakes will be wide enough anyway.
I don't want these on the new skis. Just was hoping they were still serviceable on the P50s, just in case. I guess they'd almost qualify for retro day.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
So Phil, what's your take on skiing on bindings that drop off?
It might be nice for you to talk about the care and feeding of bindings in a separate thread.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So Phil, what's your take on skiing on bindings that drop off?
It might be nice for you to talk about the care and feeding of bindings in a separate thread.
I think there are quite a few bindings that are no longer on the list that I would be 100% confident in skiing. Many old Look Z-toe Pivots along with most Salomon Equipe/Race bindings. Funny story,..actually two. A few years back, my then Blizzard rep gave me a pair of the coming year Bonafides. I mounted up some Salomon 997E's that I had that were brand new. With these bindings, you could replace the older "Driver Plus" AFD with the more modern wile platform one of to the new (at the time) metal based Sth16. He was kinda perturbed that I had a brand new ski with a 20 year old binding on it. Not too soon after I ran into another one of his athlete, not to name manes but lets just say he produced a movie called Gnar. HE had some Cochises with a similar set up but might have been some 916's, I forget. Then at the end of the season we were at A-Basin and this coach in the lifeline looks at my set up, I look at his and he also had an old pair of metal Sallies on some of the following years Bones. That coach is @Muleski's son.

I think we see more of these older Salomons around than the Looks because they are eager to modify than the Looks. The Look brake pedestal is expensive to retrofit and the brake arms don't take well to bending. Plus while Looks have had a resurgence on popularity of late, in the 80's to 00's they were just not as common as Salomons and remember they went away away for a while of favor of the "New Pivot/Axial" (think New Coke) design which was short lived.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Tyrolia Mad Flex 9?
It looks like they dropped off in 2012.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online