• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2010 Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you're at al interested in shipping one from Portland Or I may know of a 2011 with ~70k miles coming onto the market in the next few months. Although, I don't think it's a TDI, I'd have to check on that.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, this is going to be a purchase with the next 2 weeks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a huge diesel fan. I also am an XC90 fan (I made a LOT of money selling them from 2003-05). I wouldn't consider either of these unless they came with a stack of service receipts that is stacked 2-3" tall. Cost of ownership though, the Lexus wins hands down.
hmm, so I need to research the heck out of the VW.
Thanks

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
hmm, so I need to research the heck out of the VW.
Thanks
Unless it comes with a documented service history and you have a good VW guy check it out, I would walk away. These can be awesome, they can also be an albatross, I would not buy one without knwoing it's history.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Nothing to do with Dwight, just general observation, I see people who appear to have some financial difficulty and they're driving used German vehicles that are simply not affordable to maintain. Choose cheaper cars to maintain..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A friend explained Land Rovers to me once.."If I gave it to you, you couldn't afford it".

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I always service my own. Used to have trucks and suburbans. Went to 2 Volov xc 70 and Ford 500. It's time to get a sub SUV. That is why I"m looking at those models. Traverse and the like are crap. My head says the Lexus RX 350 or similar. 350 and 400 have timing chains vs belts.

I know VW could be a pain, but drawn to the diesel. The dealer that has the Touareg is a highly recommended import mechanic and sales.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What engine does the XC90 have, 2.5T, V6, I6TT (AVOID) or V8?

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
What engine does the XC90 have, 2.5T, V6, I6TT (AVOID) or V8?

V6 3.2L, though it has the worse MPG of the 3.

I have the 2.5T in my other volvos, great engine.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
V6 3.2L, though it has the worse MPG of the 3.

I have the 2.5T in my other volvos, great engine.
The 2.5T is an awesome motor, great low end torque.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
We have a 2014 Touareg TDI. It's been great so far. Literally no problems. Bought it used after it was "fixed". 32 MPG on the highway is pretty sweet.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Bumping this up for "diesel talk". Am in the process of purchasing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited turbo diesel with 30k miles. It's been a grandpa's car. MPG is crazy good on these things, and I need the extra towing capacity because we bought a tent trailer (selling my CX-5, which I'm really sad about, as what an awesome little car it's been!) Bonus is the better half is very knowledgeable about diesel maintenance as he's owned a Ford F350 for a lot of years now, and has a fabulous diesel mechanic. I know that these Grand Cherokees have been recalled for emissions stuff, but am I going to have buyer's remorse? The thing HAULS ASS. It will be a real treat on the mountain highways we drive daily. I would have gone for a CX-5 diesel, but they are WAY out of my budget.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bumping this up for "diesel talk". Am in the process of purchasing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited turbo diesel with 30k miles. It's been a grandpa's car. MPG is crazy good on these things, and I need the extra towing capacity because we bought a tent trailer (selling my CX-5, which I'm really sad about, as what an awesome little car it's been!) Bonus is the better half is very knowledgeable about diesel maintenance as he's owned a Ford F350 for a lot of years now, and has a fabulous diesel mechanic. I know that these Grand Cherokees have been recalled for emissions stuff, but am I going to have buyer's remorse? The thing HAULS ASS. It will be a real treat on the mountain highways we drive daily. I would have gone for a CX-5 diesel, but they are WAY out of my budget.
Congrats. Yesm these will indeed haul ass and your tent trailer. Much better option than the upcoming CX5 Diesel which I think will be a dud.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Congrats. Yesm these will indeed haul ass and your tent trailer. Much better option than the upcoming CX5 Diesel which I think will be a dud.
We backed out. Too many big, expensive red flags on service records that were NOT disclosed to us. The GC seems a really good medium duty towing option because they actually come equipped to...tow! Load leveling shocks, transmission coolers, the whole nine yards.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
We backed out. Too many big, expensive red flags on service records that were NOT disclosed to us. The GC seems a really good medium duty towing option because they actually come equipped to...tow! Load leveling shocks, transmission coolers, the whole nine yards.

Whatever you get I would stick with a vehicle that has a Turbo engine. Makes a HUGE difference at high elevation.

My Ascent 2.4L T feels just worlds better at high elevation than any of the n.a. V6 SUVs I have driven over the same passes.

I didnt even know that GC's were available with a Turbo Diesel, that is very cool.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Whatever you get I would stick with a vehicle that has a Turbo engine. Makes a HUGE difference at high elevation.

My Ascent 2.4L T feels just worlds better at high elevation than any of the n.a. V6 SUVs I have driven over the same passes.

I didnt even know that GC's were available with a Turbo Diesel, that is very cool.
Love driving turbo!
There are a few used turbo diesel GCs out and about. We'll be keeping an eye out but won't make that our only option. The thing about diesels--you REALLY want to make sure they've been maintained.

James

Out There
Instructor
Love driving turbo!
There are a few used turbo diesel GCs out and about. We'll be keeping an eye out but won't make that our only option. The thing about diesels--you REALLY want to make sure they've been maintained.
@Chris Geib has/d a diesel Cherokee. Don’t know how it’s been, but he lives above 9k ft. It replaced a Suburu.

Sponsor

Staff online