• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2 pair of new skis to start the year-am I crazy ??

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am starting the year (haven't skied yet) with two pair of brand new skis, do you think I am nuts

For the last 3 yrs my daily driver ski has been a Blizzard Bonafide 180cm. Core shot twice and one edge bent so in April bought a new pair which I will use as my daily ski.

fish-ski equip 005.JPG

They are 2016 skis with the carbon tip and tail, anxious to get on them.

And also to round out my quiver I needed some powder skis. Had Rossi S7's and Armada JJ's 188 and 185. I liked them in the powder but didn't love them. Almost always felt like I had to be in the back seat to ski them. After a lot of research and asking questions I contacted Keith at Praxis skis in tahoe. Did a lot of reading etc. on the Praxis Protest powder ski. Since I developed arthritis in my R knee I was concerned with torque and length etc. Keith told me to get the 177cm, which was sort of opposite of what I thought for this type of ski (longer) but since he knows his skis better than anyone I listened and bout last years Protest, new and flat for $542.00, took the bindings off my older S7's. The reviews on the Protest are pretty good and one of the aspects I liked is almost everyone said they ski this powder board from the center with no tip dive. Anyway got them and hope they are what I wanted, time and 8 inches will tell, or 28 inches.

praxius915 002.JPG

Have skied for about 45yrs and this is a first for me, new skis 2 pair for this year. Ought to be interesting or am I just crazy?

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Crazy would be not be getting a few more to round out your quiver. Nice buys.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't understand the question ...

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Pete, you're not crazy but the Praxis graphics sure are. Nothing a can of spray paint can't fix. though.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pete, you're not crazy but the Praxis graphics sure are. Nothing a can of spray paint can't fix. though.
Don't get a head of yourself. Pete is crazy. Really crazy.
But buying these 2 pair of skis is not the reason.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Protest graphics will grow on ya, Pete, especially if you got the matte finish (tho pic looks glossy)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Yep, graphics didn't do much for me either. Spray paint is an idea. Are you at Sunriver yet? Hows the snow? Got my new Honda 2000 generator today.

Sun Rivers is the name of a housing development in Kamloops.

Sun Peaks is my home mountain. Opening day was Nov. 20 and it was one of the best in recent memory. The conditions were so good the following weekend that we even got a fair number of skiers make the 6 hour drive from Seattle for US Thanksgiving. We had a temperature inversion that started to do some melting on the upper mountain the past few days, but there has been a change in the weather and it is snowing right now.

I'm glad to hear that you bought the Honda gen set. Did you get a portable shower?

Mine is called a Hot Jugz:

portable shower.jpg

If you google it, make sure you type the words "portable shower" after "Hot Jugz" or you will get more jugs than you bargained for.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
Ha, you're a piker. :D I'm starting the season with THREE new pairs: Head Strong Instinct Ti, Nordica Soul Riders, and ON3P Billy Goats.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I only have one new pair =/

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Ha, you're a piker. :D I'm starting the season with THREE new pairs: Head Strong Instinct Ti, Nordica Soul Riders, and ON3P Billy Goats.

Industry doesn't count. Cash poor, gear rich. :)

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Don't get a head of yourself. Pete is crazy. Really crazy.
But buying these 2 pair of skis is not the reason.

Are you implying my tree skiing could use some polish ?

Protest graphics will grow on ya, Pete, especially if you got the matte finish (tho pic looks glossy)

Yep they have glossy finish. I am using the logic that they will be covered with cold smoke powder most of the time, so I just won't look. My only worry is that some Dude will see them at the bottom and have a wire cutter that will do in my lock.

Sun Rivers is the name of a housing development in Kamloops.

Sun Peaks is my home mountain. Opening day was Nov. 20 and it was one of the best in recent memory. The conditions were so good the following weekend that we even got a fair number of skiers make the 6 hour drive from Seattle for US Thanksgiving. We had a temperature inversion that started to do some melting on the upper mountain the past few days, but there has been a change in the weather and it is snowing right now.

I'm glad to hear that you bought the Honda gen set. Did you get a portable shower?

Mine is called a Hot Jugz:

Dano, sorry about your resort name, sounds good. Will look at Jug....z !

View attachment 836

If you google it, make sure you type the words "portable shower" after "Hot Jugz" or you will get more jugs than you bargained for.

3 pair now that is notably remarkable. On a side note could you let me know when your snow is good. May head that way when I leave on my roadtrip in Jan.

I only have one new pair =/

True but you have been skiing 10 days already and I have zero.

HOWEVER. Right now 10am Wed it is snowing at my house which is 2200 ft. Lookout reopens Fri. and I will be there is they get some snow. Fingers Crossed.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
HOWEVER. Right now 10am Wed it is snowing at my house which is 2200 ft. Lookout reopens Fri. and I will be there is they get some snow. Fingers Crossed.

My fingers are crossed for you!

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah...two's ok since I'm starting with three. Starting the season with four might have been crazy so I'm waiting a few weeks.

Have fun with the new sticks.

Sponsor

Staff online