• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

1up Dropper Post review

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
so about 2 months ago I broke my Rockshox Reverb 125mm Stealth dropper, I fixxed it but unsure if I was going to be able to fix it so I started looking around at various droppers because I have always felt that the 125mm dropper was taking away significant range of motion from my turning, pumping, rolling down steep and drops. In fact I would run it slightly lower than my road pedaling height just get some more drop at the bottom. I have a theory that people will small inseams actually benefit more from MORE drop than people with long inseams because when we "stand" up we are not getting as far up as someone with a longer inseam. For reference I am 5'9 and I have a 27 inch inseam. I also run a very long size L Giant Trance Sx but with a 35mm stem, and 9 degree swept back no rise bars.

So I found the One up Dropper V1 and read this.

THE ONEUP COMPONENTS DROPPER POST

The world’s shortest, long travel dropper post. Get the longest travel dropper that will fit you and your bike.

MORE DROP

More drop = More fun. The further out of the way you can get your saddle on downhills the more confidence you’ll have and the harder you can ride. The shortest stack height of any dropper, period. No other post gets your saddle lower. And with the shortest effective length of any equivalent travel post on the market, most riders can now upgrade their 125mm or 150mm post to a 170mm OneUp dropper.

TUNEABLE

Don’t get stuck between dropper sizes. The unique OneUp travel adjust shims allow you to custom tune your post by lowering the travel and extended length of your post by as much as 50mm in any increment you like. Want an oh so fashionable 128.99mm drop? You got it! Drop tuning can be done on-bike, tool free and without removing the saddle or touching a shock pump. Lowering the post travel also increases bushing overlap, which is great for heavier riders.

170mm Dropper Post - adjustable* down to 120mm

150mm Dropper Post - adjustable* down to 100mm

NO BLEEDING

With a simple and reliable cable actuated remote you never have to bleed your dropper remote again. The cable setup is quick and easy. The cable clamps at the lever making shortening the housing length for clean routing a breeze. Unlike a hydraulically actuated dropper, there is no temperature sensitivity and If your remote gets damaged you can still lower or extend your post by removing it from your frame and pushing on the actuator by hand.

BETTER REMOTE (sold separately)

An alloy remote with oversized bearing and a super smooth action. The unique lever position allows you to keep a stronger grip on the bars while actuating your post. Don't think twice about dropping your post, even when charging into technical sections. The OneUp lever mimics your R/H shifter’s inboard upshift paddle position instead of the usual downshift paddle position of most remotes. This position requires considerably less thumb movement to reach the lever.

I think honestly you could stop and worlds shortest but longest travel post. Simple put in a frame+rider that can not run more than 125mm Reverb even with the 2019 redesign I am able to fit a 180mm V2 dropper. If I was more modern size M mountain bike frame with the same reach as my 5 year old L, the seat post would be lower and I would probably be able to run the 210mm and I would.

So here is my review of this post.

Price

at either 169+ remote or 209 for V2 + remote, This post is honestly one of the cheaper options on the market, when you consider that no other post on the market even approaches how much travel you are able to get with the workable space given its honestly a market of one. Assuming the post holds up this is probably one of the best values on the market.

Installation

This post will generally be easier to install than any hydro operated post but generally harder than an externally routed cable actuated post. If you have an existing post and your are internally routed the easiest thing to do is attach the new brake cable housing to the hold housing and gently pull the new housing though as you pull the old housing out.

Once that somewhat tricky part is done if you are using the one up lever is honestly as simple setting up some mechanical disc brakes, the cable like any cable on a bike will stretch out over time but its easily adjusted with the barrel adjusted or by resetting the tension just by pulling the cable tight while the lever screw is loose, and re tightening. Overall is just about the easiest internal seat post I have ever installed even easier than the Giant House brand one which is the next easiest I know of and MUCH easier than a Reverb.

Ergonomics

so this one area where I may be the odd ball. I honestly really LOVE the RS plunger remote for the reverb. I have stupid short thumbs and shift lever style remotes can be awkward for me. With that said the one you can buy from one up is pretty easy to use but I would still give the nod to RS with the plunger

Function

The only snag I have had with this post was I had the cable pull out of the lever, it was a fairly simple trailside fix though being its just pulling and re tightening one 4mm allen head. I probably just did not tight it up enough. My post has about 10 rides on it so far it works exactly as advertised because of the way the internal brake works as that its a cable pull and not hydro, its seems you can really control the speed though how much you press your thumb down. Which is pretty nice so it does post doesn't just smack your taint uncontrollably.

Also it should be know that One Up ships with travel adjustment parts to shorten the travel of a given post if you find the max extension is too much.

Game Changer!

its dropper post it goes up and down its a whopping 55mm(2.1 inches) longer drop than the last dropper I owned. Even with the seemingly small amount of measurable improvements, those 2 inches have really opened just how easy to bike to toss around. Prior to this post I would always be hitting my post trying to lean the bike over, getting low over rollers, or jumping. Now I am consciously trying to use as much range of motion as possible as I have yet to find the seat. It hard to put a value amount on your own safety, the amount of fun your having or how much faster you can go. Arguably those 2 inches improve all three for myself. in fact assuming this post proves to be reliable I will never even look at another post for other bikes. In fact my hardtail is getting one as soon as I can afford it.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Sounds like a great option. Have to check this one out in person. How much throw is on the lever? I just sent my PNW dropper back for repair so I might be looking at something else to try.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting. One gripe I have about my Trek is the bike comes stock with a 150mm dropper, and I'm 5'5" so it is literally a few mm too tall, so I bought a 125mm dropper and move it to my new bike every year. One of these days, it's going to wear out and I'd like an option that is not only not too tall, but can drop down further.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Interesting. One gripe I have about my Trek is the bike comes stock with a 150mm dropper, and I'm 5'5" so it is literally a few mm too tall, so I bought a 125mm dropper and move it to my new bike every year. One of these days, it's going to wear out and I'd like an option that is not only not too tall, but can drop down further.

was the post slammed to the frame or was the end of the post hitting something inside of the frame prior to the collar of the post hitting the frame?

either way I am guessing you could at least run 140mm of drop with a reduced travel 150mm One-Up, if the 150mm post your bike came with was contacting at the end of the post there is a chance you could ever run with One- Up

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
was the post slammed to the frame or was the end of the post hitting something inside of the frame prior to the collar of the post hitting the frame?

either way I am guessing you could at least run 140mm of drop with a reduced travel 150mm One-Up, if the 150mm post your bike came with was contacting at the end of the post there is a chance you could ever run with One- Up
If I recall correctly, the end of the post was hitting inside the frame.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
what post is it?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I have heard an unsubstantiated ;) rumor that the 2020 FEX just might have a slightly shorter seat tube than was previously the case.

We'll know with certainty sometime this coming week, if the interweb can be believed.

Sponsor