• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Very surprised it took until Jan 15 for any Ikon skier anywhere to reach 1 million vertical. I've reached 210,000 (on Ski Tracks, not Ikon) and I feel like I'm barely skiing. I get 7 or 8 runs most days and have skied 21 days.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Very surprised it took until Jan 15 for any Ikon skier anywhere to reach 1 million vertical. I've reached 210,000 (on Ski Tracks, not Ikon) and I feel like I'm barely skiing. I get 7 or 8 runs most days and have skied 21 days.

The app had only been available for 56 days when the article was published and he skied 19K vertical average for 54 of those days. I don't really see how it could have been done much quicker.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You are right at Blue Mountain Ontario you could easily log 200,000 to 250,000 in 21 days. And the elevation is less than 800ft. I logged about 12,700 ft in 21 runs and stopping mid run to wait for Family. Without doing that could likely bring it up to 26 to 30 depending how the legs hold out. Push a little you could break a million in less than 60 days on a little hill in comparison.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You are right at Blue Mountain Ontario you could easily log 200,000 to 250,000 in 21 days. And the elevation is less than 800ft. I logged about 12,700 ft in 21 runs and stopping mid run to wait for Family. Without doing that could likely bring it up to 26 to 30 depending how the legs hold out. Push a little you could break a million in less than 60 days on a little hill in comparison.

Again - that is not pushing a little, that is pushing a LOT. You are asking the legs to "hold out" for 26-30 runs every single day for a week short of two months straight.

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
The app had only been available for 56 days when the article was published and he skied 19K vertical average for 54 of those days. I don't really see how it could have been done much quicker.

I see your point, but last time there was a thread about daily vertical it seemed my average of 10 or 12k per day was really low and most around here get 20-30k per day, a very doable number at Steamboat and other Ikon destinations. So I figured there must be several freaks who have already skied 40 days @ 30k/d, giving 1.2+ million vertical to date.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So I figured there must be several freaks who have already skied 40 days @ 30k/d, giving 1.2+ million vertical to date.

Fair enough - a lot of people had already been skiing by the time the Ikon app came out, so there's all that going uncounted too.

James

Out There
Instructor
He didn’t even get a trophy? A t shirt?

I wonder how the mother in law feels about him trying to break a vert record with her 3 year old grandchild on his back.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
He didn’t even get a trophy? A t shirt?

I wonder how the mother in law feels about him trying to break a vert record with her 3 year old grandchild on his back.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Again - that is not pushing a little, that is pushing a LOT. You are asking the legs to "hold out" for 26-30 runs every single day for a week short of two months straight.
The biggest issue isn’t the legs, its the crowds, both on the slope and at the lift. Proper hydration with the correct sports drink equals little or no muscle fatigue.

Isn’t that the part of the objective fitness and endurance:huh:.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't track my vertical, but I have had a Vail resorts pass for the last dozen years or so. Just checked my Epic Mix account and it shows 114 total days with just over 2.4 million vertical feet skied since I've had the account. So an average of just over 21,000 per day. Most of season days are at Killington and I don't track anything but days skied. My routine is similar to out in Colorado, so I would guess the average vertical is similar. So with 65 or so days per year (69 last year) I guess I'm around 1.4 million vertical per season. FWIW I turn 74 this year.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
IDK, @Sibhusky recently told me about a Whitefish local named Fred Frost who skis over 4 million feet of vertical every year. Apparently, he skis 6 days a week all season, which comes out to about 40k of vertical per day. Oh, and he's 74 years old.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
IDK, @Sibhusky recently told me about a Whitefish local named Fred Frost who skis over 4 million feet of vertical every year. Apparently, he skis 6 days a week all season, which comes out to about 40k of vertical per day. Oh, and he's 74 years old.

Well, if there was ever a reason for Whitefish to go IKON ...:duck:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier

Actually, if you look at the date in the article, he's 78 these days. Still at it. Only second at the moment, tho.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One million on IKON? This guy is personally ruining places! *sarc* :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online