• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

1st Avalanche Package - is there anything better than BCA Tracker 3 Combo?

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
With the China tariff in the news it got me wondering where the Traker 3 is made and if I should grab one now or risk waiting for a sale. I've been looking online and I can't find mention anyplace on where it's made.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I would think now is a good time to buy regardless. Don't limit yourself to Tracker's. I'd look at the Pieps and Ortovox as well. And look to see what deals you might get in Europe as well -- I've found better deals there for a whole package (beacon, shovel, and probe) than for just a transceiver in the US.

Mike

David

Skier
Sounds like a good idea. Where are you shopping in Europe that's not coming up when I google? I came close to pulling the trigger a month ago but I've usually found better deals in the heat of summer. I'm thing the T3 because of size & it's upgradable. I've been looking for a while and reading lots of reviews. Anything specific you recommend?

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With the China tariff in the news it got me wondering where the Traker 3 is made and if I should grab one now or risk waiting for a sale. I've been looking online and I can't find mention anyplace on where it's made.

Assembled and tested in the US. From there, the FTC doesn't have requirements about disclosing where componentry is coming from. Country of origin stamping laws still apply for customs, but small/delicate items can be exempted, or they can be stickers that are removed during the assembly process.

David

Skier
The best beacon is one you know how to use
Not disputing that just trying to save a buck in the process, especially if the tariff causes the prices to skyrocket! I'm between the Pieps Sport & T3 right now.

James

Out There
Instructor
You might want to read Lou Dawson's piece on Auto Revert. (Changing automatically to transmit with lack of motion)

"How Your Avalanche Beacin Can Kill"
May, 2019

From article:
------------
So, in my opinion, sport a beacon with AR disabled. Enable it if you feel you need it during a specific search, or just keep your finger on the trigger.

BCA Tracker 3
Disabled by default. If you want AR, you enable it each time you power up. In my view, it sounds like AR in the case of Tracker is something you’d _rarely_ want to enable. (By the way, note the Tracker mode switch does not lock in search mode and is in my opinion easily bumped or otherwise accidentally switched to transmit mode. This is not a unique issue, other brand/models may present that way.)
---------

https://www.wildsnow.com/25679/avalanche-beacon-ar-auto-revert-transmit/

Last edited:

David

Skier
You might want to read Lou Dawson's piece on Auto Revert. (Changing automatically to transmit with lack of motion)

May, 2019

From article:
------------
So, in my opinion, sport a beacon with AR disabled. Enable it if you feel you need it during a specific search, or just keep your finger on the trigger.

BCA Tracker 3
Disabled by default. If you want AR, you enable it each time you power up. In my view, it sounds like AR in the case of Tracker is something you’d _rarely_ want to enable. (By the way, note the Tracker mode switch does not lock in search mode and is in my opinion easily bumped or otherwise accidentally switched to transmit mode. This is not a unique issue, other brand/models may present that way.)
---------

Thanks!

David

Skier

David

Skier

May, 2019

From article:
------------

BCA Tracker 3
---------

Interesting read. But now I'm questioning all of them!

David

Skier

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I have a Pieps DSP Pro. It is fine.

One question for you is how and how often are you going to use it? If you will use it infrequently, a simpler, less expensive transceiver may suffice.

Mike

David

Skier
I have a Pieps DSP Pro. It is fine.

One question for you is how and how often are you going to use it? If you will use it infrequently, a simpler, less expensive transceiver may suffice.

Mike
I'm in the midwest so 2-3 weeks out west a year. I'm thinking I want easy to learn, use and will last a while. Will definitely take classes before using it even if going with friends & family that live there and go often. Also the cheaper ones don't seem that much cheaper and offer less in the way of safety.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm in the midwest so 2-3 weeks out west a year. I'm thinking I want easy to learn, use and will last a while.
Ease of use is crucial.

…the cheaper ones don't seem that much cheaper and offer less in the way of safety.
The cheaper models do not always compromise or offer less in the way of safety. That depends more on the internal workings and features. The Mammut Barryvox offers every bit of the safety that the Mammut Barryvox S does, the same goes for the Black Diamond Recon BT and the Guide BT and the Pieps Pro and Pieps Sport. The price difference is due to different features, but for a non-pro user like you, the Mammut Barryvox (not the S) which I highly recommend, the Black Diamond Recon BT, or the Pieps Sport will be more than adequate...and safe.

Have you been here yet? You should spend time reading this:
https://beaconreviews.com/transceiver_reviews.php

And incidentally, this is the best time of year to purchase. They won’t get any cheaper after this summer.

David

Skier
Ease of use is crucial.

The cheaper models do not always compromise or offer less in the way of safety. That depends more on the internal workings and features. The Mammut Barryvox offers every bit of the safety that the Mammut Barryvox S does, the same goes for the Black Diamond Recon BT and the Guide BT and the Pieps Pro and Pieps Sport. The price difference is due to different features, but for a non-pro user like you, the Mammut Barryvox (not the S) which I highly recommend, the Black Diamond Recon BT, or the Pieps Sport will be more than adequate...and safe.

Have you been here yet? You should spend time reading this:
https://beaconreviews.com/transceiver_reviews.php

And incidentally, this is the best time of year to purchase. They won’t get any cheaper after this summer.

I have been reading and re-reading that one and others. I'm leaning towards the BD Recon BT for $254. I was hoping to stay closer to $200 but I like what I'm reading about it and 25% off is good. I was hoping to find it for 30% off but that's pretty good and may not last for a new model that was scheduled to be released next fall

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Here in Europe, the Pieps and Mammut tranceivers are most sold I think. Ortovox, BCA and Arva are slightly less popular. I have no numbers to back this up, just my own observations. This only goes for tranceivers. Shovels and probes seem equally spread amongst the brands.

David

Skier
That looks like a great deal! I just pulled the trigger on that beacon (great reviews) for $255 but I already had a shovel and probe.

James

Out There
Instructor

Sponsor

Staff online