• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

1st Avalanche Package - is there anything better than BCA Tracker 3 Combo?

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm no expert, but I've sat through some clinics on various product like this and the BCA Stuff always seems simple to understand.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can't vouch for that package enough. My boyfriend picked it up, and I wish I had gone with it instead of getting a T2 and whatever shovel was instock at REI.

Probe is a standard length and aluminum over carbon. At the rescue practices I've been to, it doesn't seem like anyone has issues with it being almost locked out, but not quite fully taught. Shovel is small enough where you're not setting yourself up to redline with a shovel head that's too big. For the beacon, OGL has a really robust review. They rank it 2nd, but the #1 choice explicitly says it's good for professionals and can be a little too much for a first beacon.

I'm sure someone's going to make a comment about going with a Barryvox since they have a slightly longer range, but range and beacon performance aren't one and the same. There's just a point in every avy class where they line up students and check the range on beacons. It's tangible, and you can see the number. But update speed is also really important (do you have to move slowly so your beacon can keep up?), and fine search (can you find the victim in 1-2 probe strikes or does it seem to take more tries?) also really impact how quickly you'll find a victim. When you factor in those other two variables, they're much more like equals.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just deleted a post because I posted something with a pro deal discount that isn’t available to everyone, sorry ‘bout that. Web cookies goofed me up.

amlemus

Putting on skis
Skier

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I've got a T3 and am quite happy with it.

I can second @Analisa idea that the newest Barryvox does have superior range. I think in this case though -- if you have a modern, good beacon (T3, Pieps DPS, Barryvox, etc) the difference in rescue speed between the two is much more about your practice than any particular tech difference.

The only reason I'll be going Barryvox this spring for the SO is that Mammut provides a silly good discount to American Alpine Club members.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Is anyone using Pieps or Ortovox transceivers anymore?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The only thing I don’t like about that package is the shovel handle. I wear mittens a lot, so I prefer a D handle shovel (also recommended by my instructor).
Tha said, I haven’t seen a D handle shovel in any of the packages, and shovels are fairly cheap, so picking this package up, then you can always get a different shovel later if you decide you want to. Unlike probes and beacons, shovels have other uses besides avalanche safety, like keeping in the car or taking camping.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is anyone using Pieps or Ortovox transceivers anymore?
Yes, though Ortovox seem to be somewhat less favored these days Pieps are popular.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I might see if I can a deal end of this year or pre season next fall on a new unit. Guess I should start doing more research

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I still have Pieps DSP pro (my primary one) and Ortovox 3+. I actually like Ortovox better, but as Pieps has longer reach, I somehow end up using Pieps.... Just in case if I would ever need it. I never really liked BCA stuff, but that's just person preference based on few training sessions with their Tracker 2.
If I would go buy one today, I would probably go with Mammut Barryvox S, but that will wait for another few years when my Pieps and Ortovox will be due to change :)

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
My current Ortovox is circa 1999. A lot of things have changed since then. The new Black Diamond/Peips, Ortovox & Barryvox all look good. I’ll have to see what I can score on a pro deal or on close out.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Pieps has the DSP Sport Package available for about $300. It includes a shovel, the DSP Sport transceiver (high ratings on beaconreview.com), and a probe. As a package, that's about what you'd pay for the transceiver by itself.

Mike

Sponsor

Staff online