• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

1969-70 vintage skis

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Used a roof ski rack on my 71 Super Beetle. Put studded snows on the rear and never got stuck. A bunch of ski trips up to VT in some really crazy weather. Every time I am on the Taconic State Parkway it brings back memories.
I picked up my recent acquisition right up the road from Brewster in New Fairfield CT

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pics?

Here's mine:

beetle small.jpg

Working on the front end right now. Replacing tie rods, and found two ball joints are very stiff. Also found the brakes are new, but the car has sat for 11 years with almost no use, so the new wheel cylinders are frozen and leaking. New ones are one the way. Once all that's done I can pay attention to the rear of the car; since the trans mounts need replacing, the motor will be coming out soon.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
my bug had that same lovely tint but was on a boring beige exterior, most of our vw vans had the same tint, in the 70's our group often had 5 rusted out vans adjacent pan dome.

I also had a '65 Bug to carry all of these on, rear mount. It looked like the OP's pic, but the red was the oxidized tint.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
The heaters, speaking from experience, were not as bad as in an MGA

Speaking from experience, the heaters, supplemented with a blanket to funnel & contain the output, kept the girlfriends close on long drives. :)

Had an MGA from around 1969 through '78-ish (last tags) when a valve burned and i never quite got around to overhauling it because 69 Chevy PU was more practical by then.
MGA was a good enough ski car. Even served as a construction hauler winter of 74/75 in Fla.

Sponsor