• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

1969-70 vintage skis

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just purchased a 1969 VW Beetle and thought a fun accessory would be a pair of vintage skis. Can anyone give me some ideas on what skis may have been popular during the 1969-70 time frame?

Thanks!

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Head. Tho old black ones. Standards, white lettering. Masters blue lettering. Comp's, yellow lettering.

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hmmm... I used to know someone that had 360's. Long gone, unfortunately. This is a start, thanks!

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Fischer Red Masters would match the paint job on that Bug. Ugly green bases to make the red topsheets pop!

James

Out There
Instructor
Dynamic VR-17 no?
see this thread
lange-dynamic-ski-spring-1970-pugski-petersen-jpg.51997

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm guessing a Fischer Silverglas would be from that era?
They didnt come until well into the 70's. Back then, my dad and his friends were skiing the Kneissel Blue Stars and Red Stars, Rossignol Allais, Fischer Combi's and such

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Had a 68 beetle and it did have a set of Fischers on the back at one point.
Kept the car until a girlfriend totaled it in 77 so it also carried many others. Most 200cm ish skis up to mid seventies wouldn't look out of place to me.
just make sure you use the bumper/air intake set up rather than a roof rack

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Some old Kneissel Red Stars or White Stars would be another good choice.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Old Blizzards and Volkls had some sick psychodelic graphics. Mid 70s Saners would also look cool
1597161455271.png

James

Out There
Instructor
Ted Bundy used a’68 Beetle to commit his murders. Including one at the lodge in Snowmass we used to stay at for ESA. Though Snowmass was part of Aspen in the mid 70’s.
8BBC00B6-C36E-42DB-84A5-4907DF115AEA.jpeg

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wow, great responses!

So #1, the red bug that is my avatar is not mine, just a random photo I found online. The one I just bought is Peruvian green, which was Elm green in subsequent years.

Yes, rear rack attached to the bumper and air intake grill. If I went with a roof rack I would just use a pair of old wooden water skis I have LOL. But I'm snow skier, not a water skier, so...

I found a pair of the Silverglass skis on ebay,they are the 68-70 graphics, Senator model. These may be perfect. They have a nice set of Salomon bindings too.

The car is decently solid but needs a bit of work before it's a viable daily driver. The transmission mounts are shot, so the engine and trans will be coming out in the next week or so. Trying to avoid the "while I'm at it" syndrome...LOL

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
and if you put on 2 sets of the rear ski holders, 3 of your even poorer friends often could squeeze in too.
(2 sets of the carriers will also hold bikes)