• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I5 was way too busy today. So we jumped on 33 and avoided the I5 mess. Took 33 from Taft to Ojai to avoid the grapevine. What a pretty road! It climbs up over 5000 feet so we got into chain control. R1 so my all season tires were legal but the Focus truck is horrible in the snow. It was a challenge and I'm sure we lost time over I5 but it was way more fun.

Lots of coverage around Sespe. We thought about earning some turns but it was getting late. Anyone ski there?

Eric

TS
Mothertucker

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Yesterday I heard some staple items had run out around town, markets out of milk, gas stations out of fuel, etc... Bit warm today, should pack things down nicely.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
yea.... everyone should forget about Big Bear and go to Mtn High instead......

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We are finally home and looking forward to skiing tomorrow! We saw the Vons truck and a gas truck chaining up down in Mentone and 2 Stater Brothers' trucks on their way down so everything should be replenished soon.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We will be up the 12th, start of our season!

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is Mountain High good? Worth sneaking up for a couple quick runs? Any powder?

Eric
There will be no powder anywhere local. It gets skied out really fast. Mountain High is ok on weekdays when it is not crowded, but it does depend what they have open.

Gr8PowerfulTim

Booting up
Skier
Is Mountain High good? Worth sneaking up for a couple quick runs? Any powder?

Eric

If they have their East side open(which they very rarely do), it's a fine little mountain if a cheaper ticket can be found as the drive is a little less of a hassle than BBMR. They had a nice long cruiser on east that I think is slightly longer than anything at BBMR. If their two sides are open, combined they feel about the same as either Snow Summit or Bear Mountain. Only problem is you have to shuttle between them.

But yeah, the weekend clientele is even more bro-ey and snowboard focused than Bear. Haven't been back in 2-3 years since Ikon came out though.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's been 15 - 20 years since I took the kids there. Mountain High was fun for them. I hardly remember the mountain layout. We also skied Ski Sunrise which was too podunk but at least it was cheap and uncrowded. Did Mountain High buy that and connect that?

It was easy to get to from San Diego - unless the traffic gridlocked you. We did turn around once after sitting in the same place for an hour. Still, the drive is so much better than the Big Bear drive.

One of my best days was a powder day at Mountain High. We were the last car in before the 15 closed. A magical 2 foot day where we had the resort to ourselves. But that was closer to 40 years ago...

Thinking (not too seriously) about gambling on Wednesday's storm for a quick day.

Eric

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Heading to Snow Summit tomorrow morning. Probably skiing 9-1. Hit me up if you're going

@Pat, how are the runs? Looks like Summit run and Echo trip?

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's been 15 - 20 years since I took the kids there. Mountain High was fun for them. I hardly remember the mountain layout. We also skied Ski Sunrise which was too podunk but at least it was cheap and uncrowded. Did Mountain High buy that and connect that?

It was easy to get to from San Diego - unless the traffic gridlocked you. We did turn around once after sitting in the same place for an hour. Still, the drive is so much better than the Big Bear drive.

One of my best days was a powder day at Mountain High. We were the last car in before the 15 closed. A magical 2 foot day where we had the resort to ourselves. But that was closer to 40 years ago...

Thinking (not too seriously) about gambling on Wednesday's storm for a quick day.

Eric

It's dry in the northwest, so I spent a few minutes yesterday living vicariously, watching the webcam at Mt High East. Looked like an average of 1 skier/rider per minute coming down Goldrush... plus 1 in 10 minutes coming down Olympic. That probably means surface conditions weren't good, but it also means that even with clear roads, Mt High is way less crowded than BBMR these days.

Mountain High was my go-to when I lived in San Diego--the drive was much better. I'd argue that the runs at east feel a lot bigger than anything at Summit--and when West is all the way open, it feels about the same size as Summit (by the numbers it's a bit smaller). I never encountered much "bro" culture at Mt High (this was 6+ years ago), but definite skater/stoner culture. I really love Mt High, but of course YMMV.

Mt High bought Ski Sunrise around 10 years ago and rebranded it as Mt High North. It's still very small (maybe smaller, depending on when you were last at Sunrise) and not connected except by the same lift ticket. They only open it for skiing on the busiest weekends when there's natural snow, and it stays pretty empty even then.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Heading to Snow Summit tomorrow morning. Probably skiing 9-1. Hit me up if you're going

@Pat, how are the runs? Looks like Summit run and Echo trip?
We'll be there for sure - also aiming for 9 AM. Text me when you get there. The conditions were good in the morning, then a bit cut up and got choppier as the day went on and the sun softened everything up. Miracle Mile and Ego trip had good coverage as did the top of chair 7 but the bottom of 7 was on the thin side. I didn't ski the park because it looked a bit too busy for my taste.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
*Conditions* for opening day at Mount Baldy... uh, wut!?
*process the snow* on opening day? this place is really something.

Tomorrow, is Thunder Mountain’s opening day, and… we’re not quite sure what to expect regarding conditions. 90% of the terrain on Chair #3 is unprocessed. That means, that it has not been groomed nor has it been ridden or skied this season. It’s no secret that over the last 1 to 2 weeks we have received substantial snowfall. However, this last front has brought precipitation with varying snow levels. Rain, then snow, then sleet, now snow. Given the Off Piste nature of Mt Baldy’s terrain it’s safe to say this Thursday & Friday should be reserved for experienced, advanced and expert skiers & riders. There will be no lessons or rentals available. If you require these services or are not an advanced or expert skier or rider, please contact customer support to reschedule your visit.
For those of you who are coming tomorrow to help process the snow: be ready for firm conditions, be hopeful for a nice soft layer of cream and be prepared for something in-between. Overnight lows are forecast to be right at freezing, conditions could go either way.
https://winter.mtbaldyresort.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online