• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Wow, I'm , sitting here digesting leftovers, drooling over these picks. I'm coming out in 2 weeks. I can get one midweek day free to ski.

How is traffic out of LA downtown going to Snow summit ?
If mt baldy is running with good stuff, I'll go there.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt. Baldy didn't plan to open until Christmas but now they are talking about opening tomorrow. They are hit and miss at best - keep checking though, anything can happen with Baldy. We got there one time and had to stand and wait for 2 hours while they waited for "the dude with the shovel" to arrive. No joke - they had no shovel! Also, Baldy is only open Thursday to Monday - so they are closed Tuesday and Wednesday. I don't know how that will affect you. Traffic is always bad in LA but early morning isn't too bad as traffic goes. Let us know if you you do come up to Big Bear. @Mothertucker and I both live here and could meet up with you.

Another option with just one mid week day is Mountain High. It's pretty good on a weekday. http://www.mthigh.com/site

Last edited:

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Good thing you didn't drive up. All roads are closed to non residents. We will see if we can get home tomorrow. We don't really want to aim for Sunday because all those stranded folks will be heading down with or without chains! We will play it by ear.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt. Baldy didn't plan to open until Christmas but now they are talking about opening tomorrow. They are hit and miss at best - keep checking though, anything can happen with Baldy. We got there one time and had to stand and wait for 2 hours while they waited for "the dude with the shovel" to arrive. No joke - they had no shovel! Also, Baldy is only open Thursday to Monday - so they are closed Tuesday and Wednesday. I don't know how that will affect you. Traffic is always bad in LA but early morning isn't too bad as traffic goes. Let us know if you you do come up to Big Bear. @Mothertucker and I both live here and could meet up with you.

Another option with just one mid week day is Mountain High. It's pretty good on a weekday. http://www.mthigh.com/site

We may try to go to Baldy on Sunday. If we make it, I’ll report back. I sure hope they remember the shovel. :roflmao:

We can SEE a whole lot of snow up on the mountains from our house, so it certainly looks like a good thing. :snow::snow::snow:

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
We will definitely be out there Monday and Tuesday. There should be some good storms coming in because I will be out of town for 10 days - leaving on Dec 6 just so you all know when the next powder day will be. :ogcool:

On another note, Snow Valley was scheduled to open today but cancelled due to white out conditions ogsmile and high winds. They also have a pretty good partnership this year. Buy their season pass for $299 and get 3 days each at Baldy, Mountain High, Eagle Point, and Brianhead among others. That's a pretty good deal for someone who doesn't have the Ikon.
We may try to go to Baldy on Sunday. If we make it, I’ll report back. I sure hope they remember the shovel. :roflmao:

We can SEE a whole lot of snow up on the mountains from our house, so it certainly looks like a good thing. :snow::snow::snow:
Make sure Baldy road is open. I saw pics of massive snow on the roads and I heard downed power lines. Maybe by sunday but double check

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good thing you didn't drive up. All roads are closed to non residents. We will see if we can get home tomorrow. We don't really want to aim for Sunday because all those stranded folks will be heading down with or without chains! We will play it by ear.
Be safe!

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier

imho, Baldy will disappoint this early, they need much more snow than they have now for any decent runs to be skiable. And as Pat pointed out, hill maintenance is a different animal at baldy.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
imho, Baldy will disappoint this early, they need much more snow than they have now for any decent runs to be skiable. And as Pat pointed out, hill maintenance is a different animal at baldy.

Good to know @MountainMonster & @Larry. I just read Baldy’s update for today & it sounds like they’re dealing with all sorts of difficulties. We could head to Bear on Sunday, but based on what everyone has said, it seems like it will be a zoo that we would want to avoid.

Oh well... we just have free babysitters (aka g’parents) in town til Monday & wanted to take advantage to the time.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I just read that they have had serious wind drift at Baldy and have a whole lot of digging out before they can get the lifts moving. Hopefully the dude with the shovel is working tomorrow.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Do you have other resources for Baldy info? I just look at their website.
Local news reports yesterday were reporting avalanche concerns as the reason for not opening yesterday.

I bet the switchbacks were a blast yesterday too...

Last edited:

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you have other resources for Baldy info? I just look at their website.
This is a local mountain forum so stuff comes up in chat. You can join and always ask a road conditions question. If someone is in the area, you get real time info. I have been watching it because we are still trying to get home. Friends sat for 2 hrs last night, waiting to be allowed up the 18 from Lucerne. http://socalmountains.com/incident/index.php?i=79804

Baldy also warned everyone to stay away that they were working with local authorities to handle avy control.

Last edited:

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Personally I wouldn't go to Baldy till things settle down because the good stuff there needs a lot of snow... probably more than one storm in November can deliver. But I am glad they might open because their steep skiing is so good.

I'm probably going up to Snow Summit next Friday on my day off. Yesterday I set up my swix table in the breezeway and enjoyed the sunshine while I got the skis waxed up . LA doesn't have the greatest conditions for skiing but it sure does have the best conditions for getting your skis tuned.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sheesh. It looks like we will be stuck in Oceanside a little longer. The drive up from Lucerne is still crazy and both the 18 and the 38 remain closed. I am quite frustrated at this point. Just venting!

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm shooting for monday or Tuesday. Another storm coming in Wednesday and maybe Friday. Both Warmer storms. I'm afraid snow rain off possible

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. I am worried that the next storm won't be cold enough. The problem for me is that we need to drive back down here on Wednesday or Thursday because we are flying out of LA on Friday. I'm debating if it's worth it to drive back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online