• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

19/20 Mtn Collective....prices up....resorts down

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
So I got the new email pitching the Mtn Collective. Prices are up 10% over last season, they seem to have sandbagged the $1 kid pass, and nothing (so far) has replaced the loss of Sun Valley & Snowbasin.

I can't see why anyone would want this over an Ikon Base?

Kids pass $99 vs a Kids Ikon base for $159 (with adult purchase?)

I would have thought that this would have been a good time to add Mt Bachelor - a remote resort with a similar profile to some of their other destinations.

tinkertwain

Booting up
Skier
Not having $1 kid pass is a bummer.

We skiied at Sun Valley for the first time this year and loved the complete package. Little disappointed that it is not part of the list anymore.

Ikon base is looking more attractive now.

If someone from MC is listening, they should bring back discounuted kid pass back atleast for the early days of sale.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not having $1 kid pass is a bummer.

We skiied at Sun Valley for the first time this year and loved the complete package. Little disappointed that it is not part of the list anymore.

Ikon base is looking more attractive now.

If someone from MC is listening, they should bring back discounuted kid pass back atleast for the early days of sale.

The Kids pass is $99, still a helluva deal.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TO PURCHASE YOUR MOUNTAIN COLLECTIVE PASS PLEASE VISIT OUR HOME PAGE!!!!
or click here...

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
People whose schedules leave them skiing holidays.
The bonus day if you buy early means you can get 5 free days between Christmas & New Years at AltaBird or Banff when Ikon Base is blacked out. Sure it's not for everybody, but there's definitely an audience with tight schedules who don't want to pay for a full pass.

Sun Valley & Snowbasin are offering the Sun & Snow Pass, $359 for adults +$19 to add a kid. 3 free days at each, and 50% off after. If you plan to visit both next year, looks like a great deal.

The Kids pass is $99, still a helluva deal.
agreed

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier

It makes a bit of sense for me. Mountain collective separates Lake Louise and Sunshine, so we get 4 days there, vs the Ski Big3 on IKON base...so 5 days with IKON Base. The extra days on MC are 50% off, but full price on IKON base...so IKON Base or Regular doesn't make much sense for a Calgarian looking to ski a bit locally.

For vacations, it depends on how long you want to stay. Again Atla and Snowbird are seperate with MC, but combined on IKON. Not a big difference for SLC.
For me, the easiest loop would include Big Sky, Jackson, Alta and Snowbird. 8 days between these are more than enough.

If I make it to California, a couple days at Squaw and a Couple days at Mammoth would be okay with me.

Taos and Aspen are tougher to for me to reach. I have never been to Aspen, so I would like some time there. The fact that there are 3 separate resorts that appeal to me means 2 days isn't nearly enough. But, I probably won't make it that far south.

If I buy the MC, I would pair it with the RCR Rockies pass to get unlimited skiing at Fernie and Kicking Horse and 50% off at Vail Owned resorts. Kirkwood and Whistler are the big ones for me. Crested Butte too if I find myself down south.

But it's just a dream right now. I usually stick pretty close to home.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
People whose schedules leave them skiing holidays.
The bonus day if you buy early means you can get 5 free days between Christmas & New Years at AltaBird or Banff when Ikon Base is blacked out. Sure it's not for everybody, but there's definitely an audience with tight schedules who don't want to pay for a full pass.

That's us! School aged kids and coming from the south east - we're locked into those dates and why we picked Mtn Collective last year. Did Holiday week at Altabird and a weekend at Taos (whole fam), I'm doing Banff area, so all in all was a win for us.

Not sure we're going to do it next year, I'm trying to figure out a different approach. More dirtbag level accommodations chasing the storms on short notice for myself (and my core crew). Not sure I can coax 2 trips out west from the fam next year, they (to my deep disappointment) don't have the bug like I do.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Taos and Aspen are tougher to for me to reach. I have never been to Aspen, so I would like some time there. The fact that there are 3 separate resorts that appeal to me means 2 days isn't nearly enough. But, I probably won't make it that far south.

sounds like we're their market, Mike - we did our 2 days at Taos - and left wanting much, much more. I'm trying to figure out a full ski week next year! Yes that good. Also never been to Aspen but want to. And I like the "easiest loop would include Big Sky, Jackson, Alta and Snowbird. 8 days between these are more than enough." plan and totally agree.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it’s a good thing the MCP still has a pulse, I would have thought it was going to be killed off.

I could actually see doing both the MCP and Sun & Snow Pass. More money than it would have cost this year and in past seasons, but having 3 days at both Snowbasin and Sun Valley is a killer deal for $399, and jumping on the MCP early enough gets your a 3rd day at a resort of your choosing, so again, not bad overall. 9 days for $848, plus another 10 days or more with the MCP, brings it down to less than $45 per day of skiing.

Ikon makes more sense for Seattle area skiers if Crystal is your home mountain, but it’s a little too far away from me. I suppose I could teach for Stevens (my home area) and get an Epic pass, then also pick up an MCP, or an Ikon.

Decisions, decisions.

Sponsor