• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
Taos skied well today. Crowds were allegedly worst of the year, but I still don't think I waited more than 10 minutes for any lifts. Didn't realize we'd have multiple AZ travelers.

Lots of Texans to dodge but I did share multiple chairs with Denver skiers who commented on the affordability of Airbnb.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sunrise was prime the last two days. They didn't run Geronimo chair on Apache until Friday so all the snow was still fresh over there. Lots of leftover powder from the midweek storm. It is crazy how much better the snow felt there than Snowbowl. Word is they are in talks with Breck and a few other ski areas to snag a used chair for Cyclone. The snowcat looked really cool and I talked to a few people who said it is definitely worth it because you usually have it to yourself.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone going to be in Taos Feb 23-28? I'll be there with a group of about 20, and doing the morning ski week. However would love to meet up with some fellow pugs for some runs.

Apicem-AZ

Booting up
Skier
Agassiz Resurrection - 8 March

Depending on your view, either plan for a few more days of prime hiking, or anticipate the quiet contemplation available while riding the lift to the near-top.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Does anyone have any recs for a quick tune in Taos? We will be down (TSV) tonight through Sunday and I'm sorely in need of a tune and wax. Wasnt sure if any places do a fairly quick turnaround down there. Thanks in advance.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone have any recs for a quick tune in Taos? We will be down (TSV) tonight through Sunday and I'm sorely in need of a tune and wax. Wasnt sure if any places do a fairly quick turnaround down there. Thanks in advance.

Le Ski Mastery! Seriously, perhaps the best tune you'll ever get.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Big moisture in play for AZ tomorrow but I think the R word could be a factor. Hit 80 in Phoenix yesterday, it is feeling like Spring.

cholla

Booting up
Skier
Big moisture in play for AZ tomorrow but I think the R word could be a factor. Hit 80 in Phoenix yesterday, it is feeling like Spring.

I hope not! Opensnow is showing 9 to 18 inches at Snowbowl with the snow level below base, but the forecast in Flag on Saturday is "R" and a high of 44 degrees....

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I hope not! Opensnow is showing 9 to 18 inches at Snowbowl with the snow level below base, but the forecast in Flag on Saturday is "R" and a high of 44 degrees....

Snow levels fluctuate so 8500ft predictions means there will probably be rain at the base of Snowbowl at least for a bit. Who knows though.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Webcam view of the Agassiz patio at 7 this morning showed wet with rain, but right now it's snowing pretty good up there.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I went up today. Snow was great above 10k and wet and manky below. It was drizzling at the base for part of the day. Definitely picked up a base refresh.

Last edited:
TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Dang, looking good up there this morning. Picked up like 5 more inches overnight.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Massive lines and no visibility. Yesterday was the day to go.

1582477996610.png

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Yesterday at Taos was... interesting. They reported 4" but there was probably more in spots. Since the temps were so warm, most of what fell was graupel (spelling?). It was super granular and non-consolidated, felt like skiing in buckets of sugar. Quite fun and surfy and kept you from feeling the bottom on many runs. A bunch of squalls moved through during the day dropping an extra inch or two with each one, so the trees and bumps were still feeling pretty great at the end of the day. Not much up high was open so if it opens today, it should be good.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting, Telluride has introduced a new Pow Cam with two shelves, one cleared daily to show 24 hour snow and one that is allowed to accumulate to show storm total.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
How is it at Telluride? What’s the hike-to-ski terrain looking? Like Palmyra Peak?

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Peeked in at the AZSB web cam a couple of minutes ago and the place is deserted. ??
"11:15am 2/25: Due to high winds, Snowbowl is closed for the remainder of the day. We will re-open at 9am on Wednesday 2/26, weather permitting."

I can't advise about Telluride, making my first trip there in March. @Core2 may weigh in, he was up there in January. Short report w/pics in post #284 in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online