• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know this is a ski site so I don’t want to be the wet blanket in here but I’m ok if it’s a dry one. I haven’t had a mountain biking winter in a long while. I guess I’m mentally preparing myself.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last season, the raw reel.

Mr. RaisingArizona...

By the video (and photos you've posted previously) it looks like you are skiing into the Inner Basin? Then what? How do you get out?

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We ski tour all over the IB, sometimes for 8 hours or more if it’s really good.

OK... Hiking back up? I've done that hike in the summer, can't begin to imagine it in the winter, with skis..

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
OK... Hiking back up? I've done that hike in the summer, can't begin to imagine it in the winter, with skis..

You’re not familiar with touring bindings and climbing skins? It’s been a growing part of the industry for 20+ years now. We climb up, ski down, climb, traverse, ski down, climb again, etc. it’s not easy but it works really good, it’s really fun and feels very adventurous. Once you understand some snow science and have the gear there are no boundaries.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's pretty wild. I'm just returning to skiing after a brief 30 year hiatus... lol. Although I'm aware such a thing exists, I'm mostly unfamiliar with the gear or technique for ski touring.

I do remember seeing tracks in the upper bowl and daydreaming about how cool that would be... But I would think that wouldn't be too crazy of a hike from the top of the chair, but over and down into the inner basin... holy shit!

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's pretty wild. I'm just returning to skiing after a brief 30 year hiatus... lol. Although I'm aware such a thing exists, I'm mostly unfamiliar with the gear or technique for ski touring.

I do remember seeing tracks in the upper bowl and daydreaming about how cool that would be... But I would think that wouldn't be too crazy of a hike from the top of the chair, but over and down into the inner basin... holy shit!

Once you get the techniques down it’s not too ridiculous as long as your somewhat athletic.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've certainly lusted over the photos you have shared in this and last season's thread!
:beercheer:

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Once you get the techniques down it’s not too ridiculous as long as your somewhat athletic.

I'm pretty athletic. I can walk up the side of Kendrick Peak off trail in about an hour. I can kill all the peaks down here in the valley without much issue. Whenever I get into the IB though, the elevation wrecks me. Something about hiking over 11k is my nemesis and this has kind of turned me off to trying touring. Maybe I need to live up there and get that 7k ft base acclimation?

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm pretty athletic. I can walk up the side of Kendrick Peak off trail in about an hour. I can kill all the peaks down here in the valley without much issue. Whenever I get into the IB though, the elevation wrecks me. Something about hiking over 11k is my nemesis and this has kind of turned me off to trying touring. Maybe I need to live up there and get that 7k ft base acclimation?

Yep, living at elevation definitely helps as well as consistency and for some it just completely kicks their ass. I remember when I moved here from Jackson (where the summits I normally skied were all around 10k) the 11k mark was a killer for me too. That’s always been where I can really feel a difference but I’ve gotten used to it.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You guys ready?

The trough from the northwest moves across the region Thursday with the associated
cooler air aloft, bringing a wintery mix to the area mostly above
7,000 ft. Possible scattered snow showers will continue Thursday
night into Friday. Little snow accumulation is expected below
8,000 ft from this system. The San Francisco Peaks can expect up
to 20
" snow, and about 15" in the White Mountains. Beyond Friday,
models indicate a longwave trough setting up over the western US
which could bring unsettled weather to northern Arizona going into
next weekend and the week following.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m not ready, f.

Oh well, this is going to shut us down on the heart trail reroute project for a while.

I’ll turn the switch and get into ski mode pretty quickly though.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
B154DC67-6108-4D65-BDBB-F36F81B3D6C4.jpeg Oh dang. I still need some pieces of gear and I need to remount my new to me skis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January