• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It kind of blew by Durango - at least given the forecast. A few inches on the ground at 7,500'. Lots of thinder, lightning, wind, weather drama. Little in accumulation though.

They are claiming 19" of new this morning ! (even though the snow stake is showing about 6-7)

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
They are claiming 19" of new this morning ! (even though the snow stake is showing about 6-7)

I think that is in the 24 hour period, which feels correct.

It was storny east of town at 7,500' last night. Purg is another 20somemiles north of us, so no idea what the actual is there. But 19" feels right.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Deepest Thanksgiving weekend since 1985!

Cold, Utah powder up there this morning I heard.

I guess they were turning people back around ten. The Facebook and Instagram comments are entertaining. A lot of folks are pissed! Early birds get the turns though. The busy weekends are the new norm after big snow.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Storm door is staying open. Two more Pacific lows incoming for SoCal and AZ.

Wednesday and Thursday...The next Pacific trough will move across
Arizona. A decent upward motion max will combine with
ample moisture with showers becoming likely across much of the
area late on Wednesday. This will be a warmer system with snow levels
starting out in the 7500 to 8500 foot range on Wednesday falling
to the 6500 to 7500 foot range by Thursday morning. At this time
it only looks like an inch or two of new snow across elevations
below 7500 feet. Models are showing a bit of an extra push of
moisture ahead of the trough. The main impact of this will be for
higher rain and snow amounts. Along the western Mogollon Rim up to
an 1.0 of liquid equivalent precipitation is a possibility.
Streams and rivers south of the Mogollon Rim are expected to be
on the rise Wednesday night into Thursday but the threat for any
flooding appears minimal at this time due to the fast moving
nature of this system.

Friday and the weekend...Models in good agreement that fair
weather on Friday will be followed by yet another Pacific low and
a chance of showers over the coming weekend.

OldJarhead

Putting on skis
Skier
Nice article on Wolf Creek in Powder Magazine HERE
You cost me $19.97. Their writing is superb. Powder Magazine is well worth supporting. When I first read their article from the December 2017 issue The Next American Ski Towns (the section on Santa Fe) I realized how fortunate I am to live close to some of the best ski areas in the United States.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You cost me $19.97. Their writing is superb. Powder Magazine is well worth supporting. When I first read their article from the December 2017 issue The Next American Ski Towns (the section on Santa Fe) I realized how fortunate I am to live close to some of the best ski areas in the United States.

John Clary Davies was Powder editor for a long time and lives in Santa Fe. He wrote this and I agree: https://www.powder.com/stories/why-you-should-live-in-santa-fe

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a feeling there is going to be about 10" of wet manky snow up at Snowbowl tomorrow morn. I'm watching them plow the Agassiz lodge beach and it looks slushy af.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbowl reporting 7" of new this morning. I was worried because it looked like it was raining most of the day yesterday, at least at the base.

Anyway, couple of questions for you Snowbowl skiers.

I haven't been up there since 1983. :eek: Back then, there was only the Agassiz lift, a double at the time and the top unloading was a little further up the mountain. There was basically "Ridge" or "Bowl" as choices for the way down.

The Ridge route has always been designated a Black run, but from my memory, it was really an Intermediate but for one short steep section that was called Waterfall. I'm trying to figure out where that pitch is in relation to the top of the Grand Canyon lift. Guessing it may be just downhill from there because the map shows a short black section turning into blue?

Second question, when do they open the Humphreys and Sunset lifts? Weekends? Later in the season? Asking because I would like to make some easy turns to shake off the rust before heading up toward the top...

THANKS IN ADVANCE

OldJarhead

Putting on skis
Skier
I am planning an expedition to Ski Santa Fe tomorrow. 79% of the mountain is open! I would have gone up today but Gayway isn't open yet (hoping it will be open tomorrow).

I have to get my traveling gear cleaned and loaded to start "work" next Monday.
20161205_062311.jpg
Does anyone have any Netflix or Amazon Prime videos to suggest? When I drive or walk I use my library card to listen to books via Digital Downloads (free is good). I will be done with most of the Hell Divers books in a few days. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

The TrainPass is no more - My VA card is all I need to get to Ski Santa Fe. The Pass picture is about 60 lbs ago.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Snowbowl reporting 7" of new this morning. I was worried because it looked like it was raining most of the day yesterday, at least at the base.

Anyway, couple of questions for you Snowbowl skiers.

I haven't been up there since 1983. :eek: Back then, there was only the Agassiz lift, a double at the time and the top unloading was a little further up the mountain. There was basically "Ridge" or "Bowl" as choices for the way down.

The Ridge route has always been designated a Black run, but from my memory, it was really an Intermediate but for one short steep section that was called Waterfall. I'm trying to figure out where that pitch is in relation to the top of the Grand Canyon lift. Guessing it may be just downhill from there because the map shows a short black section turning into blue?

Second question, when do they open the Humphreys and Sunset lifts? Weekends? Later in the season? Asking because I would like to make some easy turns to shake off the rust before heading up toward the top...

THANKS IN ADVANCE

If you go right off the top of the new GCE lift is drops you right into the top of the Waterfall area. If you go left it drops you right into the midway station of the old Agassiz chair. You ski right under it. You can take the catwalk and go left all the way down to the bowl and ski a nice easy cruise back down to the Agassiz chair or GCE. They usually run Sunset and Humphrey's when the crowds get bad but it doesn't seem like they are making it a priority to get them open yet. I'm betting they will be open by Christmas though.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Core2

Pretty much what I was thinking... It looks like there may be a cut back to the ridge from the catwalk? Catwalks don't normally bother me but not wanting to make my first turns of the season on brand new unfamiliar skis dodging that obstacle course of boarders and beginners. I suppose it wouldn't kill me to take a few laps on the Hart Prairie chair to see how the new skis feel.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
No shame in that, TJ! When we were skiing on Tuesday, @kimberlin changed her skis after lunch and we did Hart Prairie for exactly that reason. I fully expect to be taking my Renoun Atlas’s out for a major work out ogsmile on the Hart Prairie greens for their first couple of runs in a couple of weeks (guessed delivery time + bindings mounting time).

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
... They usually run Sunset and Humphrey's when the crowds get bad but it doesn't seem like they are making it a priority to get them open yet. I'm betting they will be open by Christmas though.

Low and behold, I look at the website and both of those chairs are open today. In fact, they are 100% open now, including upper bowl hike-to. :thumb:

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I rarely make any plans for skiing until after Christmas, but this early season arrival is giving me fits. My weekends are already jammed up with family stuff can't really get away from work for more than an day and there is no way I'm going to make a day trip of it driving myself.

Desert Snow Connection to the rescue! This Wednesday the 11th - round trip bus and lift ticket for 45 freakin' bucks. Long day for sure but I don't have to drive. #Stoked

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online