• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don’t mind taking my skis off, I can do that in a few seconds and this lift will still knock 10 minutes off the ride.

The Gondi cabins are only going to be like 1 of five chairs or something like that. Plenty more chairs if that’s your thing.

Covid is likely going to be around for another year or two though so there is that.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
I can't help wondering if these won't be white elephants in the post COVID-19 world. Firstly, who wants to take their skis off anyway just to ride the new Agassiz lift - darned nuisance? Secondly, unless one is only with one's ski-buddy or group, who wants to be in a confined cabin? I suppose if it is an absolutely freezing day one might but ...
Yeah, gondolas could be tricky next year, and I expect they'd have to institute a policy of "Ride only with who you came with" sort of thing. But that lift can get windy and cold so I know why they did it. Covid may cause problems next year or even the year after, but it will go away at some point and the new lift will still be there. I think it was a long-view move to not cancel the gondola order and go for a traditional high speed quad.

But complaining about skis off and on? I mean, I guess it slows you down some, but have you ever ridden the old Agassiz lift?!? They could make you disrobe entirely and then get dressed again at the top and it would still probably be faster.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Those gondi cabins are beautiful. I love the blue color, for some reason I was expecting red. I will likely always opt for a chair but this is a nice option for all the people who want to get out of the weather. I wonder if next season we will be doing distanced reservation skiing? I hope not but I wouldn't be surprised.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks really weird to see no lift towers on Agassiz. I'm thinking with the little widening they are having to do that run under the new chair will be pretty cool. Nice and steep with a little more room to maneuver.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Heck yeah core. The bottom half gets pretty flat so it was always a burner, it would be cool to have some wider, fun double fall line options to dump a bit of speed by making actual carving turns. I’m stoked!

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looks really weird to see no lift towers on Agassiz. I'm thinking with the little widening they are having to do that run under the new chair will be pretty cool. Nice and steep with a little more room to maneuver.
Are they planning on doing that?:)

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG-20200818-WA0005.jpeg
The West is on fire and oh so dry. 5 miles from Santa Fe Ski Basin.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^ Shouldn’t be too much of a problem.
Sure hope so. Definitely grew over the last few hours. Rain fizzled unfortunately.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the Medio Fire outside of Santa Fe either got rain or a big hit of humidity from passing storms last night. There's no smoke column visible from town as of 1030 this morning. A good opportunity for the crews to make progress.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
It was also supposed to run directly into the Pacheco burn scar, which hopefully has or will slow it down.

Doubt it would get to the ski hill in all but a nightmarish worst case scenario, but I like that canyon a lot. It's been getting crowded the last few years, and not all people are very respectful. They were actively debating shutting down that trailhead to the public earlier this year. I really hope it wasn't human caused, and I hope it's not too badly burnt by the time it is over

It went from 5 to 150 acres in a couple of hours, so it was spreading fast. Two non-soon years in a row. But there's a 40% chance of rain today and everyday for the next week or so in that area. Here's hoping some very rainy downbursts occur where needed.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was also supposed to run directly into the Pacheco burn scar, which hopefully has or will slow it down.

Doubt it would get to the ski hill in all but a nightmarish worst case scenario, but I like that canyon a lot. It's been getting crowded the last few years, and not all people are very respectful. They were actively debating shutting down that trailhead to the public earlier this year. I really hope it wasn't human caused, and I hope it's not too badly burnt by the time it is over

It went from 5 to 150 acres in a couple of hours, so it was spreading fast. Two non-soon years in a row. But there's a 40% chance of rain today and everyday for the next week or so in that area. Here's hoping some very rainy downbursts occur where needed.
Up to 285 acres moving toward Pecos. Feel bad for Nambe Pueblo. Reservoir is in danger potentially.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I guess this isn’t really 4 corners news but Coleman has begun investing into Nordic valley. This seems like a pretty darn bold move to me in the current climate and no one probably saw this actually coming. Maybe he’ll turn it into a place worth driving to from down here?

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I guess this isn’t really 4 corners news but Coleman has begun investing into Nordic valley. This seems like a pretty darn bold move to me in the current climate and no one probably saw this actually coming. Maybe he’ll turn it into a place worth driving to from down here?

Guy has some money to spend. Maybe he is laundering for the cartels? Wouldn't bother me as long as he keeps buying lifts.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nice foggy morning up in the peaks. Looking more like fall than summer. :D

1598970799896.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor