• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How is it at Telluride? What’s the hike-to-ski terrain looking? Like Palmyra Peak?

When I was up there a month ago everything was open. I'm sure it is good right now.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That is an awesome little glade. I've skied it and those trees are perfectly spaced.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heading up to Sunrise Saturday. Looks like they got an inch or so yesterday. Hopefully not too much thaw/freeze this week.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Heading up to Sunrise Saturday. Looks like they got an inch or so yesterday. Hopefully not too much thaw/freeze this week.

Cool. Take some pics and post them up in here.

I’m ready for spring and trail building season. I was camping a lot this winter and I’m burnt out on being cold. Still, I might get a day in this weekend if my daughter wants to go.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lee saying we may get a big wet 1" liquid precip dump next week. Winter ain't done yet.

Agassiz lift re-opening Sunday apparently. Sunrise has a good base right now, it should be decent out there @teejaywhy.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Always good potential in March. One thing I've noted about nice weather down in the valley, people don't think about going skiing which leads to less weekend crowds.

Looking forward to 3 days in Telluride at the end of the month!!

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yeah with Agassiz re-opening the lines should be minimal. Pretty crazy the blog says the new lift will be 6 person chairs and 8 person gondi cabins. It will be interesting to see what that does to the mountain and the traffic flow. I'd rather have people bunched up at the bottom and empty slopes than insane uphill capacity dumping everyone on the slopes at the same time but having no lift wait will also be nice. I'm sure Snowbowl is doing the math on that and hopefully will keep the guest experience on par.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
... Pretty crazy the blog says the new lift will be 6 person chairs and 8 person gondi cabins. It will be interesting to see what that does to the mountain and the traffic flow. I'd rather have people bunched up at the bottom and empty slopes than insane uphill capacity dumping everyone on the slopes at the same time but having no lift wait will also be nice. I'm sure Snowbowl is doing the math on that and hopefully will keep the guest experience on par.

Link to the website info about the new lift: https://www.snowbowl.ski/agassiz/

FAQ:
"Q: Why did you repair the existing lift if a new lift will be installed this summer?
A: In addition to making the lift operational again for service in the current season, it was also necessary to repair the lift in order to safely remove the chairs. The existing chairlift will be re-purposed and installed in another location; the location has not been determined. "

"Q: Will a new high-speed lift cause congestion at the top of the mountain?
A: Simply put, no. The new lift increases the line speed to transport guests up the mountain in half the time of the existing lift, but chairs and cabins are spaced further apart and overall hourly uphill capacity will remain the same."

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The crane is out there this morning and it looks like they are preparing to hoist the bullwheel back into place.

Untitled2.jpg

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
gonna have to take a ride or two on the old chair before the season is done. I wonder with the new lift if there are any plans to enhance the top of the mountain? Maybe put a little cafe/bar up there or something? I'd love to have a beer up there.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
gonna have to take a ride or two on the old chair before the season is done. I wonder with the new lift if there are any plans to enhance the top of the mountain? Maybe put a little cafe/bar up there or something? I'd love to have a beer up there.

That was the rumor this past fall. The top station is getting moved a little and they are going to make the unloading area bigger.

I hope they widen the traverse too. That’s a little narrow imo.

That last wind event dropped a lot of trees. I really hope that management plans to keep the glades areas free of fallen logs. It wouldn’t take too long for the quality to shit the bed if they get neglected.

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
That was the rumor this past fall. The top station is getting moved a little and they are going to make the unloading area bigger.

I hope they widen the traverse too. That’s a little narrow imo.

I agree that the traverse needs an upgrade to widen it and also create , if possible, a wider area at the top of the bowl where the catwalk ends.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agassiz is spinning today.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Spring skiing at Sunrise Saturday March 7. A warm, sunny and breezy day. Snow conditions: Crusty morning, softening nicely by late morning. Mashed potatoes by mid-day. Still a great base remains.

The place was deserted. I did laps on the Sunrise chair, skiing right on to the lift all day, riding by my most of the time. 21 laps according to my Strava. Legs were noodles by 3:15 when I retired for a beer.

Only the three lifts at the base of Sunrise were spinning. They have chosen to stop running the Apache and Geronimo Lifts for the season apparently. They were still shuttling people in the snow cats from the Apache base lodge oddly but folks reported long waits so I decided to stay on Sunrise.

Some pics of the crowded slopes and the Green Chile Stew with fry bread.

e-100431815.jpg

e-100511262.jpg

e-.jpg

e-114136672.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm seriously considering getting a pass at Sunrise next season. I like the vibe out there, much more mellow than the bowl and they have good fry bread and beer. Maybe midweek pass for Snowbowl and a full pass at Sunrise then I have all bases covered.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm seriously considering getting a pass at Sunrise next season. I like the vibe out there, much more mellow than the bowl and they have good fry bread and beer. Maybe midweek pass for Snowbowl and a full pass at Sunrise then I have all bases covered.

Curious, I checked pass prices. 159 bux for a Senior Pass! Seems like a no-brainer seeing how I will qualify in just a couple of weeks. :yahoo::daffy: :crutches:

The management of Sunrise sure can be puzzling though.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
The vibe sure has changed at the Bowl, especially on the weekends but that’s to be expected with all of the on mountain improvements being made.

There’s one thing at sunrise they can’t ever fix though and that’s the lack of much consistent pitch or real deal, back country touring access.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I want them to keep it shitty so I can go out there and ski powder three days after a storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.