• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Storm totals:
Sunrise - 15"
Snowbowl - Doodly Squat

WTF?

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
It happens.

I’m struggling with motivation to ski here right now. Daughter and I are headed to New Mexico on Friday.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yeah, motivation has been tough this last month with the weather and Agassiz being down. Went up today and skied the 1" of wind buff they reported. Very windy and cold af. Paid a visit to our old friend resting peacefully. I'll be out at Sunrise this weekend for leftovers.

IMG_2163.JPG

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@raisingarizona if your plans aren't solidified yet and you want some discount links for hotels PM me your email. I've stayed at a good Quality Inn in Taos and there is one right across from the springs in Pagosa.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
@raisingarizona if your plans aren't solidified yet and you want some discount links for hotels PM me your email. I've stayed at a good Quality Inn in Taos and there is one right across from the springs in Pagosa.

Thanks core but we are covered. Staying with a Taos lift mechanic buddy of mine.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yeah, motivation has been tough this last month with the weather and Agassiz being down. Went up today and skied the 1" of wind buff they reported. Very windy and cold af. Paid a visit to our old friend resting peacefully...

How's the snow? It didn't rain up there did it?

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How's the snow? It didn't rain up there did it?

No rain. Snow was good where the wind blew the fresh and icy where it was scoured. Just enough to make it not crappy. Coverage is still good up there just need a base refresh.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wind. Wind and cold ass wind. That’s the theme this season. I need to get out of here for a few days.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Cloudcroft looking good after this last storm. I have to check this place off my list at some point soon.

1581553251902.png

cholla

Booting up
Skier
Has anyone been to Sunrise lately? I went once about ten years ago, and a few times ten years before that! I just got back into skiing the past few years, and have been very happy with the improvements at Snowbowl, and the easier access from PHX. That said, the wife wants me and the kids out of the house for an event she has on Sunday - and I'm reluctant to go to Snowbowl on President's Weekend, with Agassiz still out of commission. Thinking about a quick one nighter to Sunrise, especially since this last storm skipped Flag. My 11 yr old daughter is a good skier but wants a snowboard lesson, and my 14 yr old son and I will ski all day. Thoughts?

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone been to Sunrise lately? I went once about ten years ago, and a few times ten years before that! I just got back into skiing the past few years, and have been very happy with the improvements at Snowbowl, and the easier access from PHX. That said, the wife wants me and the kids out of the house for an event she has on Sunday - and I'm reluctant to go to Snowbowl on President's Weekend, with Agassiz still out of commission. Thinking about a quick one nighter to Sunrise, especially since this last storm skipped Flag. My 11 yr old daughter is a good skier but wants a snowboard lesson, and my 14 yr old son and I will ski all day. Thoughts?

I went up Feb 1. See short review Post #331 in this thread.
"It's Sunrise" if you know what that means, but I will be likely going again this season. Maybe not Presidents Day weekend though ...:cool:

cholla

Booting up
Skier
I went up Feb 1. See short review Post #331 in this thread.
"It's Sunrise" if you know what that means, but I will be likely going again this season. Maybe not Presidents Day weekend though ...:cool:

Thank you! How were the crowds once it got busy? 5-10 minute waits? Or like 30 minutes? Did you hike or snowcat to the top of Cyclone? If so, how'd that go?

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, maybe 5-7 min at worst on the main chair just before and for a bit after lunch. Probably looked worse that it was. As usual, a loading clusterf*ck... only time they would load four on the chair was when the skiers decided that's what they should do. Irritating when there is a growing line and every other chair has two maybe three... A funny observation: The roped off loading lines were segregated into three corrals: "Fours" , "3 or less", and "Singles." The FOUR corral was like 6 ft wide and the 3 or less was about 8ft wide. :huh: Like I said, "it's Sunrise!" Just gotta chill.

Didn't do the Cyclone. I'm just an old groomer cruiser.

cholla

Booting up
Skier
Thanks again. Yeah, I've been irritated a few times when GCX at Snowbowl has somewhat of a line....and some lifties just allow any group of 3 or 4 to go up without maxing out each chair to 6 people.... I guess I'm just an old curmudgeon.....GET OFF MY LAWN

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I will be out at Sunrise on on Saturday and will report back on the deterioration haha. I want to try the cat operation on Cyclone just for shits and giggles.

Looks like NM and S. CO are going to get the goods again this next week and AZ will be skunked.

1581638699519.png

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
all this work to run it for a month then tear it down. hmmmm

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
all this work to run it for a month then tear it down. hmmmm

Yeah, the anticipated replacement might be later than sooner.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online