• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooky

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Core2 Watch if the high pressure regresses enough west...the SLC jumbo jet hangar doors will open.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Some serious wind forecast to hit AZ Snowbowl.

Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 24. Windy, with a north northeast wind 29 to 39 mph increasing to 45 to 55 mph. Winds could gust as high as 80 mph.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 36. Windy, with a northeast wind 45 to 55 mph decreasing to 26 to 36 mph. Winds could gust as high as 80 mph.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dayum, Hope that eases off for the weekend. Headed up to Sunrise Saturday.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sure hope those gusts are wrong, I plan on heading up Thursday night after work.

I wouldn’t plan on skiing on Friday.

There could be some real good wind buff on Saturday though.

It’s been a real shit winds sort of season this year. There’s only been a few real good days in the alpine back country.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If 80 mph gusts come true any snow that falls will be blown into NM. I was going to drive up tomorrow too but I think I will wait until the next storm. Lee calling for 8-12" on Monday currently.

The huge ridge may come into our favor, drawing in the "Plains low", which then may become the "Baja cutoff", which in turn could draw moisture into our Monday system. Much remains to be seen. Right now the Monday storm appears modest, though much stronger than anything we've had around here in a spell. Right now ballpark 8-12"

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks like it could be a few more weeks for Agassiz lift according to the blog.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A great day of skiing on a sunny, spring-like Saturday at Sunrise. Very good conditions considering the warm weather we've had, although it probably won't be so great today as it was getting pretty slushly late in the day. We were in the lift line right at opening and made about 8 laps on the Sunrise high-speed quad before the late-arriving crowd bunched up the liftline around 11. Short break for a bite then over to the deserted Apache peak for a few laps before returning to the Sunrise side. 16 laps, 20000 vert according to my Strava, just crusing the groomers and getting a feel for my new skis (2nd day out on them).

Interesting observations:
- This weekend is the Constitution Day holiday in Mexico and there were a lot of Spanish-speaking visitors enjoying a long weekend ski trip. In fact, the majority of the crowd I would guess.
- Sunrise had every lift running! ('cept for the permanently broken Cyclone (7) and Eagle Feather (6)).
- The Apache Peak lodge was open! albeit only the bar. First time I've ever seen it open so had to stop in for a beer. A very nice facility totally underutilized. I'll check it off my bucket list, not likely to make the trudge up three flights of stairs again.
- As is typical, I don't think there was a single lift ride without at least one stoppage, usually several.
- A good amount of grooming in evidence including Rustler, a nicely pitched blue run on the front side.
- Young folks ski attire!

Long day but totally worth it thanks to DSC - bus ride and lift ticket for $80 and a bonus of a bus only half full.

w-140039057.jpg

w--6.jpg

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So... I believe the Agassiz lift is the same make and similar vintage to the Sunset lift... (Cannibalize it!! :cool:)

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm ready for the January lull to be over. Hope we start seeing some dumps in the forecast again...

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another from yesterday, this is east or bust from the TGR forums. There was some really good skiing yesterday, today not so much.

5E0FBDA1-29A5-43B4-8FB1-E86FB3E72C6D.jpeg

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, 50 mph wind gusts on bulletproof ice snow is about as shitty as it gets. We're right on the edge of the storm track, it needs to shift south a bit and we are golden.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sunrise reporting a surprise 8" of new this morning. Snowbowl, just a dusting...

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ski Apache and S. NM are getting nuked right now. My brother says they have a foot of snow in town at 7,000 ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online