• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
One can but hope. Snowbowl was, for the first time for me, darned miserable today. I only did a half day, but the snow level predicted was clearly wrong. Sleet, slush and rain hitting such that my companion and I were soaked within a couple of runs, and the sleet on one's lenses together with the flat light made skiing an interesting tactile experience, because what was 3 feet in front was impossible to discern. Eek. Onwards to Thursday with @kimberlin and better conditions, one can but hope as I said at the beginning.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Call me a pessimist, but I have a feeling Agassiz will never run again, at lest not in its present form. The rest of the season may be a loss to the crowds.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Call me a pessimist, but I have a feeling Agassiz will never run again, at lest not in its present form. The rest of the season may be a loss to the crowds.

It seems highly likely that you are right but I’ll take it if it’s the catalyst for a new lift.

The forecast is looking high and dry for the next two weeks. Time to get back on the mountain bike?

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
It seems highly likely that you are right but I’ll take it if it’s the catalyst for a new lift.

The forecast is looking high and dry for the next two weeks. Time to get back on the mountain bike?

The wife and I are heading up to Colorado in a couple of weeks for our annual trip. We are going to use our free passes to Monarch and Purgatory, and maybe squeeze in a day at Telluride or Wolf Creek. If the lift isn’t fixed by the time we get back, I think we might call it a season. I have no desire to fight the masses on the six pack.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I noted they were working on it again yesterday. I saw bailing wire and a big roll of duct tape!
:cool:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I noted they were working on it again yesterday. I saw bailing wire and a big roll of duct tape!
:cool:
They'll never get it running without WD-40!

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, weather will be nice for the next week or two, I think I am headed to NM for dirt biking. We seem to get a lull in the storms pretty often around this time of year.

I've already seen people demanding season pass refunds due to the Agassiz lift haha.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They will have to get it running to dismantle it at least. No other way to get the chairs off the line and other complications.

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've already seen people demanding season pass refunds due to the Agassiz lift haha.

Seriously? That kind of attitude can just go somewhere else. I bet they are ones who would complain that their pass is a right to ski the entire mountain and access the hike-to terrain. We all know that the Agassiz lift only goes up a short distance past the GCE. Agassiz does not take a guest to one's skiing Nirvana. And people that love to hike for turns know there are several other options in Flagstaff for that pleasure. A mechanical failure on a lift is not something anyone plans for...stuff happens. When a lift at a very small resort goes down, yes, it makes an impact. But to ask for a refund on a pass to a small resort is not supportive of the business from which you purchased it in the first place.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Seriously? That kind of attitude can just go somewhere else. I bet they are ones who would complain that their pass is a right to ski the entire mountain and access the hike-to terrain. We all know that the Agassiz lift only goes up a short distance past the GCE. Agassiz does not take a guest to one's skiing Nirvana. And people that love to hike for turns know there are several other options in Flagstaff for that pleasure. A mechanical failure on a lift is not something anyone plans for...stuff happens. When a lift at a very small resort goes down, yes, it makes an impact. But to ask for a refund on a pass to a small resort is not supportive of the business from which you purchased it in the first place.

Agassiz may only go up a "short distance" past GCE, but it takes you to 90% of the expert skiing. Only those who don't ski that type of terrain, think the loss of this lift is not important. Not all of us are happy to ski tame groomers all day and see the value of the pass in the variety of terrain it provides. I will not ask for a refund, but will probably not ski here for the rest of the season, but I don't blame those who do ask for refunds, especially if they feel the resort is not doing all they can to get the lift back up.

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yes, the 90% of that expert skiing is indeed a loss. I know many skiers who go up just for that terrain, my husband included. But to ask for a full refund on a pass seems inappropriate somehow, given that your pass fee supports the maintenance and repair or replacement of that very iconic Snowbowl lift that may well have seen its last days.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yeah you lose the whole upper bowl with Agassiz down. Only raisingarizona and a few other crazies will hike it. Still not worth a pass refund though imo.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is there a patrol shelter at the top of GCE now? Or how are they handling safety?

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is there a patrol shelter at the top of GCE now? Or how are they handling safety?

They have a shack under the Agassiz lift at the old midway drop off point. The catwalk from GCE goes right by it.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I hope Lee is wrong.

Extended Forecast

Looking ahead into February the prognosis is not encouraging. A jumbo ridge of high pressure may establish in the eastern Pacific into mid-month

Status
Not open for further replies.