• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Clax

Booting up
Skier
I recently demo'ed the 2018/19 Kastle FX 95 HP, and loved the ski. I'm looking to buy a pair for the best price. During my purchasing research, I found that the 2017/18 Kastle FX 95 HP are priced at 40-50% off, which is obviously attractive. But here's my dilemma...the ski construction in 17/18 was a silver fir core, and the 18/19 construction is a combination of silver fir and beech wood. This change (according to the marketing material) is supposed to make the ski a little more damp and stable. I'm tempted to take a chance that the 17/18 ski will feel almost the same as the 18/19, but I also don't want to risk not being happy with the skis just to save some money, when I know I love the 18/19 FX 95 HP based on my demo.

Anyone here skied both the 17/18 and 18/19 versions of the FX 95 HP that can help me out? Do the skis feel and/or perform noticeably different? Thanks in advance for your help.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I'm interested to hear what people say as well! I don't know if this is true, but I heard the real reason that Kastle made the change is cost savings.

TS
Clax

Clax

Booting up
Skier
I'm interested to hear what people say as well! I don't know if this is true, but I heard the real reason that Kastle made the change is cost savings.

That's a very interesting possibility, given that wood species often vary significantly in price. Hmmmm.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
According to the 2017/18 catalog the FX95 HP also had a silver fir and beech core https://www.realskiers.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/1718-KASTLE.pdf

When the FX series was first launched, they used silver fir and ash cores, sometime later they seem to have changed to cheaper block glued poplar and silver for cores. It looks like they have now gone back to combination cores. European ash trees have been badly affected by a fungal disease https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35876621 so ash is much more expensive than it used to be.

TS
Clax

Clax

Booting up
Skier
According to the 2017/18 catalog the FX95 HP also had a silver fir and beech core https://www.realskiers.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/1718-KASTLE.pdf

When the FX series was first launched, they used silver fir and ash cores, sometime later they seem to have changed to cheaper block glued poplar and silver for cores. It looks like they have now gone back to combination cores. European ash trees have been badly affected by a fungal disease https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35876621 so ash is much more expensive than it used to be.

Interesting. I looked at your link, and I now realize that perhaps the skis that are 40-50% off are the 16/17 versions? Here are the pics of the 2 skis:

2017 FX 95 HP.jpg
2018 FX 95 HP.jpg

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Visually, I much prefer the looks of the older FX95, same with my older BMX-105 top-sheets.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I recently demo'ed the 2018/19 Kastle FX 95 HP, and loved the ski. I'm looking to buy a pair for the best price. During my purchasing research, I found that the 2017/18 Kastle FX 95 HP are priced at 40-50% off, which is obviously attractive. But here's my dilemma...the ski construction in 17/18 was a silver fir core, and the 18/19 construction is a combination of silver fir and beech wood. This change (according to the marketing material) is supposed to make the ski a little more damp and stable. I'm tempted to take a chance that the 17/18 ski will feel almost the same as the 18/19, but I also don't want to risk not being happy with the skis just to save some money, when I know I love the 18/19 FX 95 HP based on my demo.

Anyone here skied both the 17/18 and 18/19 versions of the FX 95 HP that can help me out? Do the skis feel and/or perform noticeably different? Thanks in advance for your help.

I could not discern any difference. Same goes for the FX85.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
I own the 16/17 and have skied every version. Differences aren't really noticeable.

Exacty the same response for me- I own the 16/17 FX95HP and have tried the newer ones for fun. I can't really tell the difference other than the graphics, and I personally prefer the graphics on mine.