• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How were the new ski shoes?

I was on my old ski shoes; I have a second fitting session and pick up my new ski shoes and new super-duper custom footbeds tomorrow.

I suppose that will make for a good comparison, to have skied at least one day on my old boots this season, before I try out the shinny new boots.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Day 5 in the books. Mt. Rose is holding well. Went up with wife and son one.
20171119_110142.jpg

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Day 1, Mount Snow, with @SallyCat, @surfsnowgirl, and her Michael. The best first season day I can remember. Good snow, lots of open terrain, not much traffic, and interesting weather.

Arrived in 50 degrees and rain at 8:30. By the time I suited up and went looking for ssg at the bunny hill, sleet was spitting down. I realized liner gloves and no sweater wasn't going to cut it. Ran in to SallyCat coming out of the lodge, and we took Bluebird Express (at less-than-express speeds) to the summit, where things had chilled rapidly. By our second run it was starting to blizzard up, and by the third, the wind was tossing the lift persuasively, the air had chilled radically, and snow was driving sideways across the summit.

We met up with ssg & Michael by the bunny, skied a bit there (noting that snowboarders learned their sitting-below-the-swale technique even in bunny school), said goodbye to SallyCat, and ssg, Michael, and I went back to the summit. There the snow had firmed to ice, and the wind was howling. It was suddenly amazingly cold. So we went in for lunch, and by the time we came out, the lifts had shut down.

Back to the bunny for a couple of amusing runs, and then done.

Great first day! And great meeting agreeable new friends! The season's off to a hopeful start.

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Read Blinn I didn't realize the lifts had shut down! Guess I left at the right time for my long drive home.
I skied two runs before meeting Read; the first was in absolutely pouring rain, and the second was in sideways- driving sleet. But the snow was great; nice and soft and easy fun, with no crowds. Really, no other people at all for the first hour!

Mt Snow nov 19 2017.jpg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
It was the best first day of the season I've ever had. Wild weather and great company. Had a blast doing drills on the bunny hill and the summit all the way down was fabulously uncrowded with icy conditions at the top, super windy with softening snow as you made your way down. @SallyCat you should have seen us after lunch. @Read Blinn, Michael and myself were on a mission heading over to the bluebird ready for some more turns when we were stopped by a snow employee who broke the news about bluebird. Much sadness. You left at the right time. We went back to bomb down the bunny hill in a safe and controlled manner of course for a few more runs and then we call it a day and whatta day it was!!!!!!

It was also the maiden voyage for my purple obermeyer jacket, bright orange pants and Head Supershape Rallys. I was more than warm enough and the Rallys were nothing short of amazing. All passed the test with flying colors..

20171119_145013.jpg

Last edited:

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
Days 3 and 4 this weekend at Crystal.
Saturday was just me, and my older daughter. Made a few warmup runs waiting for Chair 6 to open, then braved the lift line for a couple really nice runs in untracked powder down the frontside. Early lunch, then back to Chair 6 to discover the line had evaporated so we hit Powder Bowl until our legs got tired, then I finally remembered to grab a quick video:

Sunday was family day with all four of us, either zooming down the few groomers available, or dodging fist sized rocks in between moguls. Witnessed some impressive carnage on a "usually groomed" run that had grown moderately monstrous bumps.
:philgoat:
Got home to discover I was the only person with any deep gouges (typical!) but at least I'll have some P-tex work to keep me busy while the r**n comes in this week.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Day six with @Philpug and @Tricia at Mt. Rose. Getting a little sticky, almost like last May. Early was good but fading fast in warm temps and a heavy, almost rain, mist.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
maxresdefault.jpg

AH AH AH

W/ @Andy Mink and @Tricia New boots are getting dialed. Tricia's first day in hers...
IMG_1579.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG

I skied a '18-19 model that will be discussed at a future date.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
It was the best first day of the season I've ever had. Wild weather and great company. Had a blast doing drills on the bunny hill and the summit all the way down was fabulously uncrowded with icy conditions at the top, super windy with softening snow as you made your way down. @SallyCat you should have seen us after lunch. @Read Blinn, Michael and myself were on a mission heading over to the bluebird ready for some more turns when we were stopped by a snow employee who broke the news about bluebird. Much sadness. You left at the right time. We went back to bomb down the bunny hill in a safe and controlled manner of course for a few more runs and then we call it a day and whatta day it was!!!!!!

It was also the maiden voyage for my purple obermeyer jacket, bright orange pants and Head Supershape Rallys. I was more than warm enough and the Rallys were nothing short of amazing. All passed the test with flying colors..

View attachment 33513

Glad you had a great day. Thats what's it all about !!!!!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
Day 1 for me today... Sorda. I went up to snowbasin and hiked around for a few turns. Decent snow, much better coverage than expected, and a lot of fun. Only up for about an hour but... It counts :)

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
0 so far, worse part is I was at Whistler the other day (Sat) but couldn't ski. I was just carrying stuff for Lisa as she moves in for another ski season. Im gunna use the excuse that King Grump would." Was I at Whistler? I didn't see no hill!!!"

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Day 8 with @Philpug and our friend Jeff. I think this is the first time I've ever done four days in a row, or at least this century!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Michael R.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
Day 10 at Arapahoe Basin today. May try and get some turns on Loveland Pass tomorrow before heading over to the basin again.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
0, unless it counted when I put on by boots and clipped into my new skis in the living room?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
0, unless it counted when I put on by boots and clipped into my new skis in the living room?
Did you pretend you were turning? That may count!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Today was my White Album day...Number 9...Number 9...Number 9...Number 9...Number 9...

Got to get my Raptors dialed and skied with @Andy Mink @Jeff and Greg from California Ski Co.

IMG_1597.JPG

Next time I will let him stand upslope.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online