• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Well, shit.

My condolences to those who knew him. What a grim reminder that altitude can kill.

Did I see him on Sunday? There are always so many faces, some new, some old ...

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, shit.

My condolences to those who knew him. What a grim reminder that altitude can kill.

Did I see him on Sunday? There are always so many faces, some new, some old ...
He was one of the guys in Vernette's beach spot which was next to us. It was a gathering of NBS.
Vernette = @Hotchocolate

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This video from the NBS crew just popped up on facebook.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
What you failed to realize, in your Kentucky innocence, is that she was really looking for a portion of the grill that had never been touched by meat. She was clearly looking for a different grill, and possibly a different grillmaster ;)

Different grill master. I've heard that they are "a-dime-a-dozen".
Actually, I knew that a non contaminated spot was requested - I believe it was discussed. But we did well to find an open spot currently void of real meat.
Reminds me of an advertisement many moons ago where "bullshit cigarettes" were sold as "untouched by human hands"

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This video from the NBS crew just popped up on facebook.

I didn't know Russell. But this eulogy put tears in my eyes.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Happy Mother's Day!
This would have been the 14th Annual Mother's Day at A-Basin. This is the first time we haven't been there, and only the second time we are not skiing on this day.
For those who joined the Virtual Beach Party yesterday. Thanks and lets do this again.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To all of our May at A-Basin friends, Molly Hogan is gone.
:(

James

Out There
Instructor
What are they doing there now?
Sad, but let’s face it, it was a ridiculous lift.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Not if you were a never ever. Riding a chair is easier, if less educational, then a surface lift.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am not sure, but I think its being replaced with another lift.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Molly Hogan may have been ridiculous, but I rode it a few times to avoid walking from the Beach back to the A-frame lodge.

James

Out There
Instructor
Not if you were a never ever. Riding a chair is easier, if less educational, then a surface lift.
I agree, but it’s so damn short. Well it solves the snowboarder issue.
I always liked it when we had a poma for the beginners. That way, they get practice on the way up. So if you can get them on it, they acquire some proficiency standing on their skis just getting to the top.
You can tell people a thousand times not to sit down, but a lot of them do exactly that. Usually they get over it pretty quickly.

The snowboarders just couldn’t handle it though, and it was replaced by the conveyor belt. Boring.
I still love poma lifts. Maybe because I grew up at a place having only that and it would go up an expert trail. People who fell off walked down. It’s kind of crazy, but somehow everyone was ok with it. No choice.

They require much less attention though than a t bar. So like that poma at the top of Snowmass, you can kind of space out and enjoy the scenery. With a tbar it’s easy for it to slip out. I prefer the pomas or t bars with the rigid poles to the ropes coming out of the reel.

Molly Hogan may have been ridiculous, but I rode it a few times to avoid walking from the Beach back to the A-frame lodge.
You remember when we were at the Beach and wanted coffee? Too lazy to walk up, so we took the Palli lift and skied down to Black Mountain. Brilliant. Because after coffee we could just go skiing.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You remember when we were at the Beach and wanted coffee? Too lazy to walk up, so we took the Palli lift and skied down to Black Mountain. Brilliant. Because after coffee we could just go skiing.
I've done that to go to the bathroom. The key is to not wait until its too late. ;)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
WTF... @jimmy let me know earlier today that our new friend Russell Fleming who we had just met on Cinco De Mayo passed away! @Hotchocolate, can you fill us in? @bbinder can you let Marcia know?

This is Russell in the center. We are sick about this.

View attachment 74015
I had to smile a little when I was looking for a photo of @Hotchocolate to share for her birthday today and saw this comment on a photo 4 years before we met him.
Cheers to Russell tailgating on the other side.
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 12.00.14 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsor

Staff online