• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah I'm not going to make it this year. Bummer. Though the back is much better, it's still not a great idea. Possibly if I had rear entry boots to easily get into and were content to stay on smooth groomers. But that's not happening.
This will probably mean 18 inches of powder and Mikaela will be there on fat skis!
Who's going to make the bread????

James

Out There
Instructor
Actually, we were talking about boots at lunch in Black Mountain Lodge a A-Basin last spring, and cgeib, james, and philpug were analyzing my stance. I was considering making a run at modern boots this fall. If I hadn't had cataract surgery there is a chance (a small chance) I might have done it.
You should still do it! The big question is where. You should do some preliminary fitting/trying on with @Doug Briggs when you're out at Abasin. You have no reference point for other boots.

Hey, I've been on like 4 boots in the last 4-5 yrs I think. That's after 12 yrs with one pair. I've been on two this year. Well one was kind of half a boot since the top cuff was almost always un buckled.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
@mdf is maybe the only guy I know that’s still
In rear entry boots. Must work as he’ll ski most any trail !

Trish wanted new rear entry boots after her grey Nordica’s “exploded” while skiing 10 years ago. None were being made.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
You should still do it! The big question is where. You should do some preliminary fitting/trying on with @Doug Briggs when you're out at Abasin. You have no reference point for other boots.

Hey, I've been on like 4 boots in the last 4-5 yrs I think. That's after 12 yrs with one pair. I've been on two this year. Well one was kind of half a boot since the top cuff was almost always un buckled.

Not with me personally but with one of the bootfitters. Call for an appointment. They are still busy in the evenings.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
You know how the saying goes, "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself".

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Not with me personally but with one of the bootfitters. Call for an appointment. They are still busy in the evenings.
It would be like a "get acquainted" see what's out there session. We're talking 30 yrs here!
I usually tip people and tell them up front I need to try on a bunch.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It would be like a "get acquainted" see what's out there session. We're talking 30 yrs here!
I usually tip people and tell them up front I need to try on a bunch.

Our fitters do pretty much that. They have an extensive evaluation form that determines ROM and deficiencies that need compensation (like surgeries and orthopedic issues) as well as talking about what is wrong and right with current boots, how and where you like to ski, etc.

In other words, our bootfitters try to get it done right the first time. Not necessarily the first visit. They also know the boots we don't carry and can (and do) refer to other shops if what we have won't work.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Well one was kind of half a boot since the top cuff was almost always un buckled.
I can relate to half a boot!
Once I was walking thru Breckinridge carrying ski boots and crash thud. I was left holding just the cuff. The bottom half was laying on the ground as both screws on the pivots fell out. I was next to a ski shop
and quick went inside as they were open. Took them a half hour scrounging thru their junk box but they found weird metric screws and fixed the boot! :eek:

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Our fitters do pretty much that. They have an extensive evaluation form that determines ROM and deficiencies that need compensation (like surgeries and orthopedic issues) as well as talking about what is wrong and right with current boots, how and where you like to ski, etc.

In other words, our bootfitters try to get it done right the first time. Not necessarily the first visit. They also know the boots we don't carry and can (and do) refer to other shops if what we have won't work.

I can't say enough great stuff about the fitters where Doug works. They did wonders for SugarCube.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I do have some canting soles for Salomon SX's...just sayin.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

And if anyone here for the Abasin meetup is at Luv on Friday and wants a free pair of excellent conditions SX 92s in 28 (I think) -- I got you.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier

QFT

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For the rest of the class, last year Phil and Chris and James, and probably a few random bystanders, did a group-intervention evaluation of my stance (through a full range of flexing) at lunch in the Black Mountain Lodge. We discovered, much to my surprise, that the interchangable lug pieces on my boots are marked 2 and 3 degrees. (Subsequent investigation determines that ALL of my stash has 2 or 3 degree lugs. Weird! Maybe people were more knock-kneed back then.)

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So at 1:03 this afternoon, you were waiting patiently until fall. And ^^^ at 5:40? Day-yum, that was a short summer. :roflmao:
I believe I said I would have to wait (im)patiently, thank you very much! The above question is Exhibit A in how well that’s going to go.

Sponsor