• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^Is his head still attached?

Yeah. Kinda. A bit bobbly.

Listen, I didn't get to try the Ripstick black we were looking at the other day, BUT I did try the Wingman 82cti. Might be a bit light for you since it blew me away even at 178cm - on the long side for me. On the other hand, Noodler liked it too, so maybe there is some there there. This is the first "high tech" carbon based ski I've skied that really seems to have the whole package.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
More photos from A-Basin, another beautiful day, Cinco de Mayo.

L-R: Phil, Tonys, Gary, David, Paul, Rachel,, Mary
pugski gang sunday.jpg
Gary pugski gary sunday.jpg
Jimmy pugski jimmy sunday.jpg
MaryG pugski mary zuma.jpg Paul gearing up.
pugski paul sunday.jpg
Phil Pug, the pied piper of skiing! Where he goes, the Pugs will follow.
pugski phil zuma.jpg Rachel, Zuma bowl
pugski rachel zuma.jpg Tonys
pugski tonys sunday.jpg
Special guest appearance by Vernette! Last skied with her about ten years ago at Blue Knob, PA pugski vernette.jpg
PugSkiers on the prowl, Noodler and KenR are second and third from left
pugski zuma gang.jpg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
more from 5/5/19 A-Basin
Doug graciously worked the demo ski stand all day. He's the MAN, and famous too.:thumb:
pugski doug.jpg
Beards only , Dean, Noodler, KenR pugski beards (2).jpg
Clean-up crew, Gary, Paul, Mary. pugski clean up crew.jpg

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Was hoping to, but won't make it with our two 7-year-olds (b/g). They were invited to a track meet today by their PE teacher. Excited to see them run together as the last two legs of a 4x100 relay. We will be back to A-basin for a couple of weekends this year and at Copper next year. Kiddo turns would be fun!

Sorry to miss everyone today. Have a blast!

Missed you today... by the time the bumps on Ramrod were primed and ready to go, no other Pugs were interested. I lapped them a few times myself, but it's always more fun to get a bunch of good bumpers hitting them together. :cool:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Planning to go to Breckenridge on Monday perhaps to ski with Phil and Tricia. Let us know if a rendezvous time and place is identified. P-Ute could use assistance with a discount ticket if available.
We really enjoyed the weekend at A-Basin.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah. Kinda. A bit bobbly.

Listen, I didn't get to try the Ripstick black we were looking at the other day, BUT I did try the Wingman 82cti. Might be a bit light for you since it blew me away even at 178cm - on the long side for me. On the other hand, Noodler liked it too, so maybe there is some there there. This is the first "high tech" carbon based ski I've skied that really seems to have the whole package.
Nice. But are you stuck with the Billy Carter of the family? Aka Amphibio.
IMG_6415.GIF

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Missed you today... by the time the bumps on Ramrod were primed and ready to go, no other Pugs were interested. I lapped them a few times myself, but it's always more fun to get a bunch of good bumpers hitting them together. :cool:
Could have used you bumping around Saturday!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I figured I ought to try my demo skis in bumps, so I hit at least part of Ramrod on each even though they were still ice. The 80 mm Renouns were surprisingly non-horrible. The Stockli AX (UGASkiDawg's pair) were good. The Fischer RC One were a disaster -- three bumps and escape. The slaloms were ok, but I really hadn't gotten them under control.

At the end of the day I skied Exhibition on my own skis -- condiitons were nice.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I figured I ought to try my demo skis in bumps, so I hit at least part of Ramrod on each even though they were still ice. The 80 mm Renouns were surprisingly non-horrible. The Stockli AX (UGASkiDawg's pair) were good. The Fischer RC One were a disaster -- three bumps and escape. The slaloms were ok, but I really hadn't gotten them under control.

At the end of the day I skied Exhibition on my own skis -- condiitons were nice.

Until the bumps softened they were very "exacting" of your technique and were kind of like an iced up toboggan run. The RC One 86 GT has an early rise tip (that actually starts rising fairly early in the forebody) and the tip is stiff. Once the moguls softened, the RC One had no problems for me through the bumps and the tip shape proved to be just fine; I was concerned because it flares wider through the up turn, but it's nothing like the Head Rally/Titan, etc. I'm a "skis together" bumper and the Fischer worked well for that style.

Reactions: nay

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Until the bumps softened they were very "exacting" of your technique and were kind of like an iced up toboggan run. The RC One 86 GT has an early rise tip (that actually starts rising fairly early in the forebody) and the tip is stiff. Once the moguls softened, the RC One had no problems for me through the bumps and the tip shape proved to be just fine; I was concerned because it flares wider through the up turn, but it's nothing like the Head Rally/Titan, etc. I'm a "skis together" bumper and the Fischer worked well for that style.
Yeah, I think ice bumps and stiff tips dont go together well.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@P-Ute, let me know if you are still in need of a discount ticket at Breckenridge today. While I may not be able to ski I can come down and get you (and up to 4 others) a $50 buddy pass.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@P-Ute, let me know if you are still in need of a discount ticket at Breckenridge today. While I may not be able to ski I can come down and get you (and up to 4 others) a $50 buddy pass.
That would be nice. Where rendezvous? I'll send a PM with Paul's phone #.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are trying to get out of the house...meet you at the lot at 9?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, breck station area 9ish AM. we swing by condo office first. mtg doug there too.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'll see you all at 9ish in front of the ticket windows at the Gondola base.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I had a great time Sunday! Tricia, Phil, Susan, Christy, Doug, Gary, and everyone else instrumental in either putting this together or facilitating the fun (binding setting, grilling ..) - thank you so much!

JonathanR

Booting up
Skier
Had a good time meeting some of you all and skiing with some of you.

I will have to hang out more next time but this was my first time to A-basin so I wanted to spend most of my time on the mountain.

But it was a great trip and I'm definitely up for skiing with you all again in the future.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Had a good time meeting some of you all and skiing with some of you.

I will have to hang out more next time but this was my first time to A-basin so I wanted to spend most of my time on the mountain.

But it was a great trip and I'm definitely up for skiing with you all again in the future.
It was nice meeting you too,@JonathanR.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January