• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

130mm brakes on a 108mm ski?

Lilledonmarco

Booting up
Skier
I have scored a 2nd hand pair of Rocker2, 108mm that require bindings. The local store has a great deal on at the moment for Tyrolia bindings, but the brakes that come with that binding are 80mm. The tech there said that if I use a wider binding brake, they can just substitue that instead. Its not easy to source the 110mm binding brake in Norway at the mment (for some weird reason). The closest that I found was 130mm...

So, will a 130mm brake be "too wide" for these skis? Or won't it make any difference, apart from pure aestethics?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Afraid the 130mm is too wide and you might catch the brakes on each other, your ski pants or the snow itself. You want a max of about 10mm wider brake than the ski to prevent any issues.

Should be lots of last years Attack2 13 Tyrolia bindings around with the 110mm brake available on deals I would think?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bad news: the Tyrolia brake is pretty generous, meaning it can usually go on a ski much wider than advertised brake width.
Good news: Tyrolia brakes are pretty reasonably priced. Pick up a narrower pair.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Bad news: the Tyrolia brake is pretty generous, meaning it can usually go on a ski much wider than advertised brake width.
Good news: Tyrolia brakes are pretty reasonably priced. Pick up a narrower pair.
A 100mm brake and some plyers would probably do the trick..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is a bit wide, about 1 cm on either side? Are you really going to carve a 108 hip to snow on hardpack? How nicely do they tuck in when you clip in?
Not so much for carving but in the snow they can drag.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How does that happen? I run quite a few 88 brakes on 65 skis (on whatever's not a FIS GS ski)... kind of the same difference as the OP and, while I wouldn't necessarily recommend it :geek: had no issues like that...? The little plastic winges tuck nicely behind the binding, but I guess it would depend on the shape of that specific brake...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How does that happen? I run quite a few 88 brakes on 65 skis (on whatever's not a FIS GS ski)... kind of the same difference as the OP and, while I wouldn't necessarily recommend it :geek: had no issues like that...? The little plastic winges tuck nicely behind the binding, but I guess it would depend on the shape of that specific brake...
You answered your own question.

I have a friend who had a pretty horrid crash because a brake too wide for her skis actually got caught on the other brake and interlocked.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've always wondered, in a cringey/nervous way, about overly wide brakes on narrower skis; the freeheel options for brakes seem to go no smaller than 95 mm, and I've currently got them mounted on several 66 waisted carvers. After a partial season i.e. last year, on them I've yet to have any issues (anti-jinx).

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've always wondered, in a cringey/nervous way, about overly wide brakes on narrower skis; the freeheel options for brakes seem to go no smaller than 95 mm, and I've currently got them mounted on several 66 waisted carvers. After a partial season i.e. last year, on them I've yet to have any issues (anti-jinx).
With the resurgence of narrower (sub 85-90) skis you'd think the manufacturers would have a larger selection of brakes. I know some do, and @Philpug knows which they are, but it seems they'd go in 10-15 mm steps. I know, more SKUs for everyone but come on!

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a friend who had a pretty horrid crash because a brake too wide for her skis actually got caught on the other brake and interlocked.
I locked brakes like that a couple of years ago. Luckily I was just about to push off and realized the problem as I went to step the downhill ski toward the fall line. Switched the brakes out straightaway.