• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

130 PIke vs Float... potato patato......

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Uhmmm... Fox makes a 'Float' version of every fork chassis they make. Which one are you asking us to compare, I'd assume either the 34 or the 36?

I like the Pike better than the 34 but would choose a 36 over the Pike/Lyric. The 36 is pretty much considered the "best" all mountain fork available. The Pike can be set up a little plusher for small bump compliance but the 36 is stiffer and has better support. The DVO Diamond is a nice combination of the best attributes of both... but it is heavier than either.

I had an interesting conversation with a factory rep (not a Fox rep) who said the black stantion 'Performance Elite' forks were actally better than the Kashmir forks. Evidently the Kashmir coating is better but is difficult to apply evenly. The black anodized forks are often smoother (and slicker) because of this.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks Mike! I had heard the similar about the Performance Elite as well. saves you $100 or so too. I didnt think you could get a 130 on a 36? Cool! thanks

Last edited:

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Ahh, missed the "130" part, but yeah, the 36 can be lowered down to 110mm in 10mm increments.

I am a fan of the RS Pike, think it works great and is very simple. I've been hearing great things about the MRP forks also. Made in Colorado, right?

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I don't know much about them but I have read a couple blips. :)

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Go all out and get a BOS. Unless you are buying a complete bike then you can pretty much get RS or Fox.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Ron, for the riding you've described, a Fox 36 would be big overkill (though the 18s are plusher off the top of the travel, finally).

Reactions: Ron

Sponsor