• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

10 Week "Training Camp" to Ski Season

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Welp, I just looked up and noticed I'm now ten weeks away from my first four day ski trip...

Given I went on a serious gym-drought this summer, I thought I'd pick the Pugskiers brains on how to best get in shape for those grueling 8 hour days on the hill.

What are your favorite exercises and routines to prep for ski season? What is your typical strategy a few months before your first ski trip?

This question was easy to answer back when I lived in Colorado. But now that I don't get the luxury of skiing to get in shape for skiing, I've got to get a little more creative.
  • My first year after moving, I did my usual weightlifting routine (no cardio) and found myself gasping for breath during my first trip of the season. To add insult to injury, the weighted back squat hadn't prepared me for the type of leg strength that skiing requires.
  • Year 2, I added leg blasters (link to routine, I could only work up to 6-7 sets of the mini version at one time) and noticed my legs did a lot better, but I was still wearing out later in the day, and my cardio was struggling.
  • Year 3, I started swimming for the first time in my life. I found the cardio mixed with holding my breath felt extremely similar to the thin air environment of the mountain. I also mixed in leg blasters and weightlifting about 2 times per week. I never found myself out of breath on the mountain, but my legs still struggled on long mogul runs, and my form still fell apart later in the day and week.
This year, I'm thinking about building up a longer distance aerobic base early (via swimming, cycling, and boxing classes) for 30-60 minutes at a time. The more I bike the more I think it could be great ski prep - the repeated pedaling up a tough hill on the bike feels remarkably similar to the quad burn at the bottom of a long mogul run.

I also think some interval training could help mimic the 5-10 minute downhill runs followed by rest on the lift. And there definitely seems to be a benefit to the leg blasters and general leg strength. Yoga and Pilates always seems good for core strength and flexibility, too.

All told, I'm thinking the following 10 week "training camp" could be a great mix to get ready for the ski season:

First 5 weeks:
-2x per week Swimming/Biking/Boxing for 30-60 minutes
-1x per week heavy weightlifting for legs
-1x per week Yoga or Pilates

Last 5 weeks:
-1x per week long distance Swimming/Biking/Boxing (45-60 minutes)
-1x per week interval or sprint training in Swimming/Biking/Boxing
-2x per week Leg Blasters

What do you think?

Last edited:

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You reference the leg blasters above, but I've posted the following link for other readers who might not be familiar with them. And read Rob's reasoning for why they work so well for our sport. And why they are superior to conventional weight training. They will get you into skiing shape pronto. And very time efficient- you can knock out 3-5 sets in less than 15 minutes. And your legs will for sure let you know the next day that something serious is going on down there! I've depended on these to put the finishing touch on my ski fitness program leading up to each of the last three seasons.

https://www.backcountry.com/explore/train-eccentric-leg-strength-for-alpine-skiing

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
You reference the leg blasters above, but I've posted the following link for other readers who might not be familiar with them. And read Rob's reasoning for why they work so well for our sport. And why they are superior to conventional weight training. They will get you into skiing shape pronto. And very time efficient- you can knock out 3-5 sets in less than 15 minutes. And your legs will for sure let you know the next day that something serious is going on down there! I've depended on these to put the finishing touch on my ski fitness program leading up to each of the last three seasons.

https://www.backcountry.com/explore/train-eccentric-leg-strength-for-alpine-skiing
Do you work through the full progression?

I'm in my late 20s and reasonably fit, lean bodyweight, but I seem to plateau in the mini leg blaster routine. I don't think I've ever been able to do more than 7 sets of the minis in one session. I've got no doubt that someone who can tear through 5 sets of the full leg blasters can crush the mountain; I've just never been able to get there.

Also, any issues with knee pain? Last year I experienced some soreness after leg blasting 3x per week, which made me nervous and had me dial down the frequency.

MAB

Putting on skis
Skier
Do you work through the full progression?

I'm in my late 20s and reasonably fit, lean bodyweight, but I seem to plateau in the mini leg blaster routine. I don't think I've ever been able to do more than 7 sets of the minis in one session. I've got no doubt that someone who can tear through 5 sets of the full leg blasters can crush the mountain; I've just never been able to get there.

Also, any issues with knee pain? Last year I experienced some soreness after leg blasting 3x per week, which made me nervous and had me dial down the frequency.

For me, getting myself up to completing the full progression was a mental thing more than a physical one. For whatever reason, the exercise lends itself to feeling like I couldn't possibly do another set pretty early on in each session. When I first started doing them, I would quit. Eventually, I learned that if you can just get yourself to keep going, then you can get through another set, usually without stopping. Keeping the rest periods short also really helps me. The longer I rest, the more likely I am to quit. The other thing I find odd about them is that I don't feel like doing the full sets is all that much more difficult than doing the minis. One thing that worked for me was to start doing full sets right in the first week. I would rather do the five full sets than ten minis for some reason. It just feels like less work (mentally) even though it is the same amount of reps.

Working up to the full progression is totally worth it. The last few years I have skied more or less bell-to-bell on opening day with little to no soreness or tiredness the next day. They don't give me knee pain, but I have been squatting heavy weights for many years and have good squat form (and am not prone to knee problems more generally). It is worth having someone watch your form while doing them to see if there are any red flags. Blasters are tiring and it is easy to let your form slide while doing them.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's definitely mental: THEY HURT. I turn 67 in two weeks. So you twenty somethings get no sympathy from me. ;)

Two years ago I started off with three full sets and the next day wondered if I had lamed myself for life. I settled into 1 full set and 4 mini sets, twice a week, kind of figuring that was the same number of reps as three full sets. Did the same routine last year. This year I settled into three 3/4 sets (15 air squats, 7-8 lunge sets, 7-8 jump lunge sets and 7-8 jump squats) and added one more half set about a week ago. Maybe later this week I will get back to one full set followed by 4 mini sets. Jackson Hole is coming up in 10 days- and the mountain don't care.

No, they don't seem to bother my knees. A couple of years ago, with so many of my ski buddies complaining of aches and pains from old sports injuries, it occurred to me that I should be thankful for being smaller than my classmates in Jr High and High school such that I never was varsity sports material. That and being bookish and into playing classical violin. Anyway, I escaped my school years with intact knees and spine (You'd be amazed at what a football center's cervical spine x-rays look like 30 years-on). Again, eternally thankful that I am able to follow this passion into my upper 60s and, we hope, well beyond.

mcpowell

I want to be good
Skier
I’m 53 and have been doing the leg blasters for a few years now. Like cosmoliu, you twenty somethings are getting no sympathy!

A few years ago, before legblasters, I climbed the ladder while I cleaned gutters for a few hours. Later that day my legs felt like jello. Since then, I’ve been doing miniblasters 2X per week (4 sets). It’s a good “maintenance” plan that keeps your legs from being sore when you have use your legs in regular life. I typically start up the full leg blasters about 2 months before I go skiing. I usually have to wait about 60 seconds between sets as my heart rate will get over 150 and I’ll get woozy if I push it much harder. I’ll also ride the elliptical an hour a day 3X per week. I do tend to get a little soreness in one knee once I crank up to full blasters, but it’s nothing an ibuprofen can’t handle (at my age I eat them like Pez candy ;-).

If you can manage 5 sets of full leg blasters before you go skiing, you’ll be satisfied with your ski fitness. I can go bell to bell unless something really throws a curve ball at me.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Welp, I just looked up and noticed I'm now ten weeks away from my first four day ski trip...

Given I went on a serious gym-drought this summer, I thought I'd pick the Pugskiers brains on how to best get in shape for those grueling 8 hour days on the hill.

What are your favorite exercises and routines to prep for ski season? What is your typical strategy a few months before your first ski trip?

This question was easy to answer back when I lived in Colorado. But now that I don't get the luxury of skiing to get in shape for skiing, I've got to get a little more creative.
  • My first year after moving, I did my usual weightlifting routine (no cardio) and found myself gasping for breath during my first trip of the season. To add insult to injury, the weighted back squat hadn't prepared me for the type of leg strength that skiing requires.
  • Year 2, I added leg blasters (link to routine, I could only work up to 6-7 sets of the mini version at one time) and noticed my legs did a lot better, but I was still wearing out later in the day, and my cardio was struggling.
  • Year 3, I started swimming for the first time in my life. I found the cardio mixed with holding my breath felt extremely similar to the thin air environment of the mountain. I also mixed in leg blasters and weightlifting about 2 times per week. I never found myself out of breath on the mountain, but my legs still struggled on long mogul runs, and my form still fell apart later in the day and week.
This year, I'm thinking about building up a longer distance aerobic base early (via swimming, cycling, and boxing classes) for 30-60 minutes at a time. The more I bike the more I think it could be great ski prep - the repeated pedaling up a tough hill on the bike feels remarkably similar to the quad burn at the bottom of a long mogul run.

I also think some interval training could help mimic the 5-10 minute downhill runs followed by rest on the lift. And there definitely seems to be a benefit to the leg blasters and general leg strength. Yoga and Pilates always seems good for core strength and flexibility, too.

All told, I'm thinking the following 10 week "training camp" could be a great mix to get ready for the ski season:

First 5 weeks:
-2x per week Swimming/Biking/Boxing for 30-60 minutes
-1x per week heavy weightlifting for legs

Last 5 weeks:
-1x per week long distance Swimming/Biking/Boxing (45-60 minutes)
-1x per week interval or sprint training in Swimming/Biking/Boxing
-2x per week Leg Blasters

What do you think?

Heavy weights 1 time a week is not enough.
You should be able to press 3x your body weight, 3 sets, 12 reps, and do this 3 times a week for 6 weeks. Then you can do leg blasters, and other stuff, but you should do maintenance leg press, 2-3 sets of 3x body weight, but only 5 reps so your legs don't get tired or sore.
And yes, you need s good aerobic base, best in long (2-3 hours) rides or holes.
Before you do intervals.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Tony -

It is good to ask who is doing what. But keep in mind that my routine likely isn’t a match for your needs. Also keep in mind that the internet is like a dumpster, not an encyclopedia.

For off the shelf programs, Rob at Mtn Athlete has a great dry land ski training program. He has a few very good technical skiers to base his movement analysis on. The dude is a trainer, not a skier, so he is extrapolating. His kayak program, on the other hand, misses the mark on so many levels.

If you really want to get dialed contact Anne Healzer. She’s a PT and PSIA L3 in Seattle. She’s set-up to also work remotely and advise clients on macro plans. In my case, for example, I benefit zero from weight training, but flexibility and long low intensity aerobic workouts are huge for me. This is not based on some shit that I read on-line, it is based on having a physiology lab at my disposal.

Net / net, without some sort of baseline testing it is very much like being in the woods - you have an idea of where you want to be, but you have no idea where you are, so you can’t plot a course. Work with a PT, like Anne, and have a FMS analysis conducted. It will help for this year, but it will really help you plot your cours for next year.

Enjoy.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tony -

It is good to ask who is doing what. But keep in mind that my routine likely isn’t a match for your needs. Also keep in mind that the internet is like a dumpster, not an encyclopedia.

For off the shelf programs, Rob at Mtn Athlete has a great dry land ski training program. He has a few very good technical skiers to base his movement analysis on. The dude is a trainer, not a skier, so he is extrapolating. His kayak program, on the other hand, misses the mark on so many levels.

If you really want to get dialed contact Anne Healzer. She’s a PT and PSIA L3 in Seattle. She’s set-up to also work remotely and advise clients on macro plans. In my case, for example, I benefit zero from weight training, but flexibility and long low intensity aerobic workouts are huge for me. This is not based on some shit that I read on-line, it is based on having a physiology lab at my disposal.

Net / net, without some sort of baseline testing it is very much like being in the woods - you have an idea of where you want to be, but you have no idea where you are, so you can’t plot a course. Work with a PT, like Anne, and have a FMS analysis conducted. It will help for this year, but it will really help you plot your cours for next year.

Enjoy.
Curious, why weight training would do zero for your skiing?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't do lunges -- they strain my plantar fascia. I spend half an hour a day on a stairmaster at a moderately fast speed. Seems to do the trick.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Heavy weights 1 time a week is not enough.
You should be able to press 3x your body weight, 3 sets, 12 reps, and do this 3 times a week for 6 weeks. Then you can do leg blasters, and other stuff, but you should do maintenance leg press, 2-3 sets of 3x body weight, but only 5 reps so your legs don't get tired or sore.
And yes, you need s good aerobic base, best in long (2-3 hours) rides or holes.
Before you do intervals.
I would propose that fitness level should be considered before a 'You should be able to press 3x your bodyweight for 3x12 reps. While I was quite capable of pressing 4x bw when I was under 40 yrs of age, I had been in the gym quite a bit and built up to it.

Now at age 60, I will do presses before I start my leg blasters, but I'm not gonna push more than 1.5-2x bw before doing leg blasters because I don't want my quads to be so stressed and tight from heavy presses that I can't perform the full schedule of leg blasters.

Tony, like others have mentioned that they do, I don't do a long schedule of building up on mini blasters before starting up with full leg blasters. Takes too long and don't think it's necessary. After a week or two of mini blasters, I will then start with one set of minis as a warm-up followed by a full leg blaster followed by a few minis. Following week, I'll again start with one set of minis followed by two full leg blasters, and so on until I'm up to five leg blasters twice per week.

Being that I'm old and not as limber as when I was younger, I'll only do five per leg of jumping lunges as I strained a hammy once doing those and am leery of doing big sets of them. Since you are in your twenties, that same concern should not be a hindrance for you.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Curious, why weight training would do zero for your skiing?

Rod - two things:

1. Alpine skiing is not about muscular strength,. Certainly you need to have the physicality to be mobile and be structurally sound, but if you are gassed from a 2,000' - 3,000' vert run you are probably chasing the wrong Grail. Chances are you are not embracing efficiencies . You are likely skiing with your upper body, or blocking at the end of every turn to control speed. If you put your body in a position that allows the equipment to do the work, alpine skiing requires very little effort. You need coaching and lessons - not gym time.

2. I trained for most of my adult life to compete at an elite level in a 2 minute event. For several decades I've never had a workout under 150bpm. Many workouts were between 160bpm and max. It may be genetics that made me efficient at those intensities, or that the workouts changed my physiology. Either way, my body is among the most anaerobically efficient that Fort Lewis College Physiology Dept has tested (image below), and blows my age category out of the water. The flip side is that my aerobic metabolic functions suck more than I could have imagined. And that is part of what I need to address.

In FMS testing with Anne Healzer, her assessment is that I have all of the strength that I ever need. More flexibility would however, allow me to access more range of motion, more angulation, higher edge angles, and greater rotary range of motion for greater efficiency when making short radius turns. All of that translates into greater efficiency, less energy expended, being fresh at the end of the day, and ready to send it again the next day.

Performance testing 1 LR.jpg

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier

I do quite a bit of exercise in various forms. Gym, hiking, video routines, etc. Not a fan of the gym nor video routines as they get boring so I break it up. Since moving back to Hawaii, I make use of a free gym and we have been doing hikes/mild trail running which gets us a little sore sometimes.

I read the article and the important part of the article for me was: "...alpine skiing demands eccentric leg strength. Think of concentric strength as “positive” strength. This is the strength you use to stand up from the bottom of a squat, or hike up a steep hill. Eccentric strength is “negative” strength. You use eccentric strength to lower yourself into the bottom of the squat, and hike down a steep hill. Eccentric strength absorbs force. Alpine skiing primarily demands eccentric strength. My program design had trained concentric strength. I’d swung and whiffed."

I applied that to our fairly strenous hike this past Sunday. It's about a 2 hour hike with switchbacks during the bottom half and straight up on the second half. The bottom half features some short cut areas hat are steep and can be slippery. We have hiked it before and haven't really been sore but I hiked in a sloppy way especially going down where I kind of banged down (back didn't like it afterwards). This time, I focused, kept my core tight and treated each step up as a mini one-legged squat but on the way down I really focused on using eccentric strength. I was super smooth with my legs absorbing the decent in a very controlled way. Going down the second half, we hit straightlined the switchback section. My legs were really burning but it also felt good. Here it is Tuesday and my calves, quads and glutes are all very sore.

Thanks for the link. Helped get me focused in the right way.

After hitting Big Sky every year since 2013, we'll be heading out to Steamboat for 3 weeks at the end of January. Really looking forward to it!

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just returned from a week at Jackson Hole. The Tram and Sublette opened just in time for us to enjoy almost the full palette of what the mountain has to offer. Once again, leg blasters came through and allowed me to attack the mountain full on from day one.

Sponsor