• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Drill 1 ski gate drill (video)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I shot this video today with the intent of posting it in this thread
https://www.pugski.com/threads/the-outside-ski-to-outside-ski-drill.4204/
But apparently it is closed. Not a big deal though since it is really a 1-ski drill, not outside to outside.

There was a group of US development team athletes training at Squaw today with a variety of gate drills & SL courses. I watched a bunch of them run this drill & no one made it look easy, it is difficult enough with 2 skis. This guy was the best I witnessed, pretty impressive...

A few turns in the stubbie course

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Man... I tried simple 1 ski turns for the first time this year, and couldn't even complete one on my LTE. Suffice it to say I'm a long, long.... long way from being able to do anything near that.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Man... I tried simple 1 ski turns for the first time this year, and couldn't even complete one on my LTE. Suffice it to say I'm a long, long.... long way from being able to do anything near that.

Make sure your boots/footbed/alignment are set up correctly.

Easy check - can you stand on your LTE in not ski boots.
Then do it static in ski boots.
Then try it in motion.

If you can do it in step 1, but not 2 or 3, you may have an alignment problem.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Are any of those one-footed turns brushed?
:snowball:
I don’t know about brushed but I wouldn’t call them carved. More like pivoted with some counter rotation, a solid edge set & some arm swing for added visual dance effect.

Doby Man

Out on the slopes
Skier

Wasn't there recently a resounding claim that it is supposedly impossible to make a skidded turn using only one fulcrum? Well, one ski and no poles is as "one fulcrum" as you can get and this guy is doing it (on video). Though technically, and the reason why it is possible is that a foot in a ski boot has multiple pressure points with which to create leverage in a manner that may not technically qualify as a single "fulcrum".

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Early 90’s I did a drill with a top instructor at Sunshine on a Black run, that just looked like a Blue because it was so wide and smooth and it just rolled into a steep section.

Inside ski turn in a starfish. Yes starfish, arms and legs out balancing on downhill ski only and carve the turn (yes on straight skis) at about 40+mph out of about 12, 8 tried it only three of us got 6 turns in (the 3 included the instructor).

Commitment, timing and balance. Miss one and you crash and burn.

One of the most difficult drills I have ever done.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
It’s a picket fence drill. Emphasis is on tempo and quickness. Space between brushes is 1.5-4m. You can’t carve a 3m turn.

So I was reminded of a Ron LeMaster presentation where he talks about achieving minimum radius carved turns... I looked it up and he says that a 13m slalom ski at a 65 degree angle makes about a 5.5m radius turn - and makes a 4.5m turn at 70 degrees. I think it might actually be possible to carve a 3m turn if you can achieve about an 80-85 degree edge angle on a 13m ski. (Linking those turns is an entirely different beast...)

Now I need a 13m slalom ski... :doh:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

Wasn't there recently a resounding claim that it is supposedly impossible to make a skidded turn using only one fulcrum? Well, one ski and no poles is as "one fulcrum" as you can get and this guy is doing it (on video). Though technically, and the reason why it is possible is that a foot in a ski boot has multiple pressure points with which to create leverage in a manner that may not technically qualify as a single "fulcrum".
Yes, but I think Josh was just trying to complete his video collection without having to go out and film it himself.ogwink
BTW there are at least two contact points between the boot and the ski - front binding and rear binding.

skier

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
Inactive
The person in the video is able to rotate his foot by using counter rotation with his upper body. As long as the slope is slippery enough, the ski can rotate. If the slope is too sticky then the upper body will rotate instead of the ski. In this particular video, he's adding in some hop for each turn or up unweighting which makes it easier to rotate the ski without it getting stuck. It's obvious that someone can do a jump turn on one ski, though I don't think that's what Mr. Matta was questioning. The only difference between rotating the ski in the air versus rotating on the snow is that the snow provides more resistance. With the right slippery surface, there's no reason someone couldn't rotate their ski standing on one leg. But, if this skier was in a couple of inches of heavy snow, then the only way he could do the same drill is if he jumped for each turn. So, is it possible to brush a turn on one ski without jumping? And the answer is that it depends on the slope, and that could be the issue with Mr. Matta's conundrum. It very well could have been that on the days he was attempting to do one legged brushed turns without jumping, the conditions weren't right for it.
Another way to brush the turn on just one ski, mentioned before, is to pressure the cuff to have the ski tip dig in while the tails are light, then the tails can spin around the tip. But that also isn't going to work too well in sticky conditions. Perhaps the best method to do a brushed turn is to use a combination of cuff pressure and rotation which may be true for normal two legged skiing as well.

Sponsor

Staff online