• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

$0.02, Head Raptor 120 or Lange RX130 LV?

bob.knox

Booting up
Skier
Looking for any and all real world opinions about the Raptor 120 and RX130 LV. I tried them both on, but my shop only had the RX in one size too big. I have an extremely narrow, bony foot. The Raptor felt snug but comfortable on all sides out of the box on the left foot, but there was a hint of pressure on the top of my right. The RX also felt great, but was definitely too long. The flex of the Raptor was softer, but as I understand, I could put 2 more bolts in the back to stiffen it up. The RX felt a hair too stiff, but again I believe that can be softened by removing a bolt. My only concern with the Raptor is cold since I already have poor circulation, but maybe I can fit a thicker sock if I don't have to cram my foot in there. I ski the east on GS race skis, 6' by 150lbs, and my strong technique makes up for lack of brute strength. Finally upgrading from very old Nordica Grand Prix that are close to the stiffness of the RX 130.

Thanks Much,
Bob K. watching the snow melt in MA.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I would think you’d compare the Raptor to an RS rather than an RX. That aside.....

Thicker socks are not a good idea, it will likely restrict your circulation and make your feet colder. Heated socks, or boot heaters are better ideas for warmth, and/or invest in Intuition liners to replace the stock liners. IMO warmth of the boots is a secondary problem, the first is getting the right fit. If the Raptor fits, wear it. A hint of pressure, if it is indeed a problem, can be solved.

You could also get a Raptor 140, which is really a 130 that takes an additional bolt to stiffen to a 140.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Raptor has a tighter heel pocket than the Lange
Raptor is internally shorter in length than the Lange
Raptor is narrower than the Lange in the forefoot

What was the shell check like, did the fitter do this ?

You have a custom footbed too ? ,cause with a bony foot you better stabilize it

As far as flex, Raptor is usually stiffer than the Lange

The Raptor 140 has a better liner and is stiffer

But all these are moot points if the boot does not fit your anatomy

TS
B

bob.knox

Booting up
Skier
I would definitely need to get the boot fitter involved when I purchase. I was looking at the RX instead of the RS based on the warmer liner and, full disclosure, I am getting older and slower so I want a boot I can keep for a while. Still my favorite boot of all time were the banana yellow Lange Tii's. I think the old Lange molds were made directly from my feet. All I needed was a Superfeet insole and I was good to go for years.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
I would definitely need to get the boot fitter involved when I purchase. I was looking at the RX instead of the RS based on the warmer liner and, full disclosure, I am getting older and slower so I want a boot I can keep for a while. Still my favorite boot of all time were the banana yellow Lange Tii's. I think the old Lange molds were made directly from my feet. All I needed was a Superfeet insole and I was good to go for years.
Old bald guys like me don’t screw around

We get boot heaters cause our circulation is shot

Why suffer ...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@bob.knox, I'm in the VERY early process of transitioning from the Raptor 140 to a Lange RX 130. The Raptors skis amazingly well, but are SO hard to get off when cold that I actually pulled (maybe tore) a couple tendons in my ankle. Since my local situation demands de-booting in the parking lot, I'm making the change.

Also, after this happened, my wife took away my Raptors, so I need some boots in any event.

In the fitting room, I find the RX 130 a bit roomier than the Raptor everywhere except the heel pocket, where the Lange is definitely a bit tighter. They also flex a bit softer than the Raptor at room temp even though both are 130 boots (we know how much cross-brand consistency there is in that).

I haven't skied them yet, so can't say much more at this time. I'll report back later. In the meantime, I'm just a perhaps slightly above average skier, but this guy RIPS, and has written a fantastic, detailed review on the RX 130. The same site has a similarly detailed review on the Raptor 140:

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2019-2020-lange-rx-130-lv

Enjoy the hunt!

P.S. Thick socks work just fine. It's simple heat transfer. They are warmer. In new boots, I go from super thin socks to thin to medium to thick over about 30 or 40 days, as the liners pack out. When it's really cold, Boot Gloves make it feel about 15 degrees warmer. You couldn't pay me to fuss around with electric boot heaters. YMMV.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you are looking for warm. bypass the Raptors.

dave g

Booting up
Skier
Purchased the Raptor B3 RD with Head Lace up liners in November from Race Stock Sports in Vermont. Traded in my old Raptor 120 RS that I had used for the past 3 years. PJ Dewey, the owner of Race Stock Sports, spent about 90 minutes making a custom footbed and fitting the boots including adding lifters, and I haven't looked back since.No additional adjustments or modifications since my initial fitting. Some grinding was done at the fitting, but no stretching of the shell . My foot is straightforward from a fitters point of view, no bunions, low volume. Shoe size 12, boot mondopoint 28.5. Couple of observations and comments. The boots are amazing and definitely much stiffer than the 120 RS I was using. This is my first plug boot and the shell is significantly thicker than a non-plug boot, as such I can't put these boots on without the boots being warmed in my boot bag and using a boot horn! When you get back to the lodge to change plan on waiting about 15-20 minutes for the boots to warm up a little before you attempt to take your foot out. That said I can't imagine going back to any other set up. The fit and responsiveness of the boots is amazing. I'm 57, 6'0 165 lbs, no ex racer, though I do some master racing, and have no problem flexing the boots. Dave

TS
B

bob.knox

Booting up
Skier
Thank you all for the input. I pulled the trigger on the Raptos because of the close fit and they were on sale for over $100 less than the Langes. I will put a few days on them next season before I have them modified. With the cash I "saved" custom liners will probably be on the list.

Enjoy the rest of your seasons. We only have a couple weeks at most. Rain and sun in our future.

Bob

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can't go wrong with either. I prefer the Raptor 140, if only for the better spine flex buckles that alone would be worth it!

TS
B

bob.knox

Booting up
Skier
Just to close out this thread if you are looking at the Raptor 120's. I spent my first night skiing in the boots last night with my Stockli Laser GS 185/R 27's. I couldn't be happier and wish I had made the change years ago. I am about 155lbs, and the Raptor 120's have the perfect amount of forward flex for an all day precision boot. Laterally they are solid as a rock. I can now lean into turns and creep up on the perfect edge bite pressure. My previous Nordica Grand Prix's were like hitting a brick wall. Powerful for sure, but they wore me out. The Raptors on the other hand absorbed the piles of chopped powder/ice perfectly. It wasn't that cold, around 25F, and my feet were actually hot. My only concern is that I might be out of foot buckle adjustment. My freakish feet are so low profile I had the tow buckles cranked as far as they could go but still had vertical air space. Once the liners pack down I'll have to switch to thicker socks.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Looking for any and all real world opinions about the Raptor 120 and RX130 LV. I tried them both on, but my shop only had the RX in one size too big. I have an extremely narrow, bony foot. The Raptor felt snug but comfortable on all sides out of the box on the left foot, but there was a hint of pressure on the top of my right. The RX also felt great, but was definitely too long. The flex of the Raptor was softer, but as I understand, I could put 2 more bolts in the back to stiffen it up. The RX felt a hair too stiff, but again I believe that can be softened by removing a bolt. My only concern with the Raptor is cold since I already have poor circulation, but maybe I can fit a thicker sock if I don't have to cram my foot in there. I ski the east on GS race skis, 6' by 150lbs, and my strong technique makes up for lack of brute strength. Finally upgrading from very old Nordica Grand Prix that are close to the stiffness of the RX 130.

Thanks Much,
Bob K. watching the snow melt in MA.

Narrow and bony foot? I dont think the Langes are the best choice. try the Atomic Hawx Ultra 130S. Forget about the Nordicas unless they are their plug boots. The Head Raptors should fit you better as well.

Sponsor

Staff online