• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Another suggestion... Fischer RC One 86 GT. Awesome carver with all-mtn chops.

I rode the lift at Vail with an instructor on those and he absolutely loved them. They would be high on my list for what you are looking for.

TS
Y

Yardsale

Crashing builds character.
Skier
Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice. Total bummer I won’t get to demo any this season, but this gives me a great place to start.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
To bad sierra has closed it's online store for now. The V82 where under $200 brand new.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Brahma 82, V82, DPS 82, Stockli AX, etc. 76mm to 82mm skis are excellent for starting to really carve while remaining versatile for a little fresh snow and do great in bumps if they have the proper shape and flex. Despite the other suggestions, the 88mm+ skis are not low tide or groomer skis, they are a nice OSQ that doesn't really excel in anything.

TS
Y

Yardsale

Skier
Do you guys think the Liberty V82 in 172cm would be too short for me @ 5’8”?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice. Total bummer I won’t get to demo any this season, but this gives me a great place to start.

Do you REALLY think this thread is going to end because you said good bye?

NAWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you guys think the Liberty V82 in 172cm would be too short for me @ 5’8”?
That may be a bit short. I liked the 179 at 225#. I'm 5'10".

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was afraid you were going to say that. Found a new pair of 172’s for really cheap.
The other option is get them and see if you like them when you get a chance to take them out. Sell them for what you paid as a good deal or at a slight loss. There are enough folks who know about the V series now that you shouldn't have a problem selling them if they don't work for you.

TS
Y

Yardsale

Skier
A little follow-up:

I ended up finding a new pair of Liberty Evolv 90s in a 179. I know they’re not a skinny true carving ski, but for less than $200, I just couldn’t pass them up. I probably won’t even try them until next fall at this point, unless maybe I can get over to the Beartooths in June.

Many thanks for all the advice!

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Personally when constructing a quiver the two most important skis are a “one oh something” ski for “western” conditions and really great for soft snow, and an 88mm or so as an all mountain ski for firm conditions.

I have a few more skis, but I presently use the Nordica Enforcer Free 104 in the One Oh slot, and Blizzard Brahmas in the 88 slot.

You need to decide whether you want your narrower ski to have some all mountain versatility for firmer days, or you’re exclusively going to be skiing groomers. If you’re just going to ski groomers then yes, just get a groomer ski. Head “i” speed something similar (or whatever they’re called now) is an example. If you do think you’ll want broader use though then look at a narrower all mountain ski. Blizzard Brahma 88, Volkl Kendo, Salomon Stance 90, Nordica Enforcer - all great.

I used to keep a groomer ski in the quiver but I now don’t bother. I purchased a Head Monster 83 to replace my old Head i SuperShapes (I think that’s what they’re called). I enjoyed the Monsters more. But the truth is there’s really not much between the Monster 83s and Brahma 88s in hard snow performance. Indeed I really do think a double metal layer wood core 88 ish ski offers all the tenacious grip on groomers including very firm groomers (but not ice) any good recreational skier needs, outside the race course.

But that’s me and my preferences. Sometimes you need to try your hand at a range of things (and skis) to really find what your preferences are.

Of your list I would definitely personally pick the Nordica Enforcer 88. No question.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
A little follow-up:

I ended up finding a new pair of Liberty Evolv 90s in a 179. I know they’re not a skinny true carving ski, but for less than $200, I just couldn’t pass them up. I probably won’t even try them until next fall at this point, unless maybe I can get over to the Beartooths in June.

Many thanks for all the advice!
I think that’s a wide choice - my reasons ^^^ in earlier post

Sponsor

Staff online