• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Yardsale

Crashing builds character.
Skier
Greetings,
I currently use 2017 K2 Pinnacle 105’s @ 177cm as my “quiver of one” do-it-all skis. I’m happy with them in soft snow/fresh corduroy but I struggle a bit trying to carve with them when we haven’t had any fresh snow in several days and conditions are “icy” by western standards. I find it hard to get them up on edge enough in those conditions to get nice clean, “railed” turns. I end up pushing them and skidding a bit. I’m guessing it’s much more my fault than the skis, but I’m hoping a narrower ski better at carving might help me improve.
About me:
5’8” height, 220 lbs. Some would say fat, I prefer to think of it as low center of gravity! I average 20 days per year almost entirely in Montana and Idaho. I doubt anyone in their right mind would say I’m a technically good skier, but I ski all over the mountain with a big grin and feel comfortable on most single blacks. I generally stay away from double blacks.
I’ve been looking at:
Nordica Enforcer 88 & 93
Nordica Navigator 90
Atomic Vantage 90 Ti
Liberty V82

Thoughts/opinions? Thanks!

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nordica Enforcer 88 & 93

Reactions: BMC

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Western hardpack, not Eastern hardpack.

The Liberty would be my choice among the models you listed.

If you’re open to more suggestions, the Renoun Z90 or Atlas 80 are options, and Renoun has a Spring sale right now, the Z90 is $699 and the Atlas $999. For skis that normally sell for $1200 -$1300, these are killer deals. I have used the Z90 as a one ski quiver the last 2 years, though their strength is definitely front side carving, I have found them to be very versatile.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Picked up a pair of Enforcer 88's for the same purpose. Really like them. They are not an ice skate, but we just don't see that much real ice.

I am a lousy source to listen to, I really like almost all the skis I try.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are you looking for something narrower than what you have but still pretty versatile, or something specifically to work on your carving with? Basically everything you list falls into the first category. If you really want to learn to carve, I'd get something narrower à la a Head Supershape or similar.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is this.

TS
Y

Yardsale

Skier
There is this.
I appreciate it, I looked at those. I’m at 325 BSL, so no luck.

TS
Y

Yardsale

Skier
Are you looking for something narrower than what you have but still pretty versatile, or something specifically to work on your carving with? Basically everything you list falls into the first category. If you really want to learn to carve, I'd get something narrower à la a Head Supershape or similar.

I think I’m after an all-arounder that leans more towards on-piste, frontside. I plan to keep my 105’s for fresh snow days.

Reactions: BMC

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I appreciate it, I looked at those. I’m at 325 BSL, so no luck.
They are selling without bindings, so you just have to fill the existing holes and have new bindings mounted. By a different brand binding and you are assured the holes won't conflict. A very good price (339) for a very good used ski. FWIW.

TS
Y

Yardsale

Skier
They are selling without bindings, so you just have to fill the existing holes and have new bindings mounted. By a different brand binding and you are assured the holes won't conflict. A very good price (339) for a very good used ski. FWIW.
Oops, my mistake. I thought bindings were still mounted. Need to read more carefully!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I own two pairs of Pinnacle 105 184 (or whatever the 18x is). I agree it is a great one ski quiver, with a soft snow bias. And the 179 length makes it even better in bumps, I would imagine. Just tops.

To me, the V92 Liberty would work as a great learning to carve better ski that is versatile, even more so in that length for bumps, but with a groomer bias. When I demoed it, it was not for me, not frontside carver strong enough; but I found myself thinking of it for my son, should he express more of an interest in carving improvement or emphasis. (He is instead a freerider/freestyler sort, who wants to improve in those ways instead.) To me, it is very smooth, very easy to carve consistently, but kind of meh. Not a real excitement in the way it carves, but instead a relaxed, consistent smoothness, pleasing.

That 167 AX seems too short for you, unless you like slalom like skis, and lots of liquid-quick turning, no time for full flex on edge.

Of the skis you mentioned, I'd get most excited about the Enforcer 88 for its versatility and the V82 for its groomer carve ease (but not so much excitement as for other, more frontside carvers).

With your greater weight than mine, I'd guess the Enforcer 93 might be just as good for you as the 88, as @Scruffy indicated.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would recommend a narrower carver something 74-80 mm and if you wanted to increase your quiver further get something around 90 mm latter, This may also help with technical learning curve

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought the Libert V82 for exactly this and they have done exactly what I wanted. Plus they are good in bumps and a couple of inches of fresh.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Liberty Vs are great but don't overlook the Evolv series. They still have most of the V's carving ability but are a bit more versatile.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another ski (who knew?) to not overlook if you're looking for a good carver/all-mountain is the Elan Wingman 86CTI. I'm about your weight and am really impressed how well this ski does so much. If a little more carvey is what you're looking for there is the Elan Wingman 82CTI.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I'm pretty happy with my Rossi Exp 88's for groomer days at Whitefish.

Sponsor

Staff online